Monday, February 7, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

*If you don't want to read all the crap below, please just leave a comment and tell me what career you think I'd be good at. I need advice!


Do you ever wonder about this question? Lately, I've been thinking about it a lot. When I was in college, I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I graduated. I graduated near the top of my class in Hospitality Management (1/2 Business, 1/4 Hospitality Management, 1/4 Culinary Arts) and I was going to be a serious event planner doing Oscar parties and other black tie Hollywood fundraisers. Fast forward 5 years, and 2 kids later and I can't think of a more un-family friendly career. And to be honest, I'm not even sure if I want to do that anymore. And while I don't have any intention of having a career other than Mommy anytime soon, but if, heaven forbid, I ever needed to have a career, I have no clue what career I'd choose. I have been accepted to grad school once, but wasn't able to attend. And I started applying to a different graduate program, but didn't feel right about it. And other than a few odd jobs here and there, my income contribution to my family since my kids have been born is that of babysitter (which has been an answer to prayers in more ways than one), but I don't plan to continue on that career path. I go back and forth between wanting to do something that I love but I'll get paid little for it, or doing something I like ok and getting paid well. I have never been paid well in my life and part of me would love a job where I felt like I was paid what I was worth.

So I'm asking for your help!! Sometimes you don't know what skills and talents you have until others point them out. So I'm all ears. What would I be good at? Has there ever been an instance when you thought, "Amy would be so great at that!" Here is a list of some of the career/grad school options I've thought about...

Ultrasound Tech- after 2 high risk pregnancies, I really value a good ultrasound tech. they can make all the difference. 2 year program and pay is nice.

Floral Designer/Florist Owner- I worked at a florist all during high school and did many many many weddings. I've always thought about starting a small flower business specializing in weddings/events. But starting businesses take SO SO SO much effort, and to be honest, I'm not sure if I want to put forth the 5 years of 24/7 work to finally be in the black on year 6.

Professor- I would love to be a teacher at the college level, but I'd have to take the GRE or GMAT to get into a program that would let me do that. The GMAT is a 4 letter word in our house.

Columnist- I love writing, and I'd love to have a witty column about life, but I don't think I'm that talented of a writer and "making it" as a writer is near impossible.

Catering- I love cooking and there is a new style of catering where rich people want to have dinner parties, but they want to make it appear to their guests that they made all the food. So a caterer would come to their kitchen and cook all the food in the host's dishes, and prepare place settings/table and leave right before guests arrive.

J.Crew employee- as much as I think about actual careers, most often my mind drifts to working at J.Crew just to get the discount. I'd love to feel well dressed after having mommy clothes. And really, who needs education when you can have nice clothes? I'm kidding. Kind of.




So now back to you. This is a serious assignment and I'm sure there are a lot more things out there I'm not thinking of, so please give me some inspiration.

7 comments:

acandiedapple said...

Me too! I rotate between opening a bakery, a fabric store, teaching sewing classes, interior design and working at anthropologie.

So yeah, I hear ya. I think you would be best at something where you work with lots of different people. You are so likable and it is easy for people to relate to you, so professor, ultrasound tech or JCrew employee would all be good. I don't know about the catering, not because you wouldn't be good but because it would be annoying to do all the work and not enjoy the party. You know?

carie said...

I vote professor. I think you are a natural at speaking to people in a way that they can hear what you are trying to say. You can teach part time with just a master's degree...I know because I have considered it several times and almost done it twice... and you just have to have the masters degree in whatever field you are passionate about. Maybe English...writing...something along those lines. Along the way you can publish a few articles here and there in a few magazines. I also think you would be great at financial/household planning. You have a ton of life skills that don't come naturally to a lot of people (like myself)..you know how to save money while still managing a household, planting a garden, having kids, etc. You would be a great asset to ALL of the parents I work with and you could teach these skills by doing a job like a parent mentor or life coach of some kind to people who just don't get it :) That may not sound fun, but you would be awesome at it :)

Kristen said...

Amy,
After reading Carie's comment I thought of a program that might work for you. It is an online Master's program for Family and Financial Planning. There is no out of state charge (but it is kind of expensive). I know about this program because I have a friend who is a stay-at-home mom and she wanted to get her master's. She wanted to do sometime that she was passionate about and something that would help others. Here is the website for the program: http://www.gpidea.org/
I also think you would be a good professor. I think it is something great for a mom to do. Teach a couple classes a semester and bring home a little extra money. I am looking into that direction.

My honest concerns with JCrew and catering are when you would have to work. It seems to me that you want something that will allow you to be with your family,but this is just my opinion. You will figure it out. I plan on being a stay-at-home mom, but once my kids are in school, I do not see myself staying at home all the time. I have to be busy! I go nuts if I am home too long.

Unknown said...

I think these are questions that we all ask ourselves everyday and it is so rare to end up doing what you actually major in! I honestly think you would be an incredible event planner (we could be a team!) but I can understand your reservations with that.

My vote would be for an ultrasound tech. After going through what we did and dealing with some callous nurses, techs and doctors, I think that sensitive and kind people are in short supply in the medical world sometimes. You would be a breath of fresh air and could really help some people in difficult circumstances.

But whatever you end up doing, I think your perspective about motherhood is right where it needs to be. You are doing a job right now which many women would love to have and you are doing it well.

Rob and I so appreciate you and your entire family. I only wish that we lived closer together so we could give you all hugs and let you know just how much we love you. Thank you for being such incredible friends to us.

The Katzbox said...

I counsel people over and over about the burgeoning market in imaging technologies. If you work for a hospital, there may be a lot of forced overtime, which equals a lot of money, but time away from home. If you work for a private company, maybe not so much, but good money nonetheless. It has a promising future. I worked in radiology and they couldn't hire enough people. There are many fields within imagining: nuclear med/CAD/PET/Ultrasound/radiology/ and then you have specialized oncology, etc. The future is wide open.

Plus you can always do writing on side and sell your columns to specialized magazines.

Honey, your future is bright. You can do and be whatever you want.

xoxo

Lauren said...

You should definitely own a business. You have all the skills of a successful business owner. Now, what that business should be, I don't know. But you have the people skills to sell stuff and get your name out there and the budgeting skills to financially make it work. So maybe the flower shop idea is my favorite. Or even a restaurant.

Chandra said...

Well, I'm an ultrasound tech and I love it! I'm able to support my family only working part time while my husband goes to school and I work with some amazing doctors. I seriously LOVE my job!! :-)