Saturday, May 5, 2012

Boys

Each day I tell myself that after the boys go to sleep, I'll sit down and write for an hour. I'm desperately behind in my "writing therapy" and even more behind in documenting "My Quirky Kid". But almost every night, I sit in our big recliner just for a few minutes, only to realize an hour has gone by and I'm too tired to do anything.

So I'll just take a few minutes to write a few things on my mind while I ride the metro. Yes, I'm totally on the metro right now headed to a friend's baby shower.

The past two weeks with the boys have been amazing. Each night I marvel to Cort about just how incredible they are. Because of Will's unique abilities, his emotional stability and overall development will most likely look like a blue chip stock. Lots of ups and downs, but a gradual progression over time. Right now we are enjoying an upward trend. There are quite a few big changes coming his way in a few weeks, so I'm preparing myself for some regression, but I'm enjoying my happy, smiley, well adjusted kiddo while he's around.

Will has made vast improvements in the last few weeks. I mean, incredible progress. Our friends in Ohio will be so proud of his progress when we see them in a few months-he's a totally different kid.

Both of the boys are getting huge. Will is incredibly tall and I just bought him a pair of 5t pants two weeks ago that are already too short. And Duke is wearing all of Will's 3T clothes from last summer.

Our family has benefitted in a lot of ways from us carving out our own place in the world. But with our most recent move, our boys have become insanely close. They are blood brothers and maintain about a 90/10 ratio of playing to fighting. I love knowing they are best friends and this time is really setting the stage for their relationship throughout their lives.

We have been enjoying a lot of baseball together, as Will has deemed it as his current favorite sport. The Sandlot is on all the time and when it's not we are playing baseball in the yard. Last Sunday we were at the park and Will wandered over tithe baseball field. We didn't have any equipment, but Will wanted to play a game, so he orchestrated an imaginary game. He told us who was pitching and batting. Each pitch resulted in a home run and the hitter ran the bases while the pitcher imitated fireworks. We did this for an hour. It was one of those nights where you thank God that he sent you two little boys.




I was trying to get out the door to run errands but I couldn't bring myself to break Will from this situation-he was eating an apple. It was a beautiful moment.




This is Duke getting his mud on. In all reality, I'm always thrilled when the boys play in the mud. It's the quintessential kid activity that you can only really do when you're a kid.




Will's class put on a show of all the songs they sing during the day at school. Will was the most animated of all the kids. It was adorable. I'm already excited for the Primary program this year.




This is how the boys fall asleep every night. They get tired and reach for Daddy's lap and within a few minutes, they're both out cold. Cortney is definitely the celebrity of the family. When he gets home, the boys want nothing to do with me, except to bring them food and chocolate milk while they play with Dad.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I miss them so much! Totally agree about the mud. I secretly sometimes wish I could just go jump in it too.