Monday, December 29, 2014

I've been thinking a lot about Duke over the past few weeks as I decide whether or not to start him in kindergarten next year. The main drawback in my mind for starting him this fall is, I'm afraid kindergarten will make him grow up. I'm sure that sounds strange because all kids grow up, and especially for me who is very excited to have more self sufficient kids, it breaks my heart to think about Duke growing up. He has such a special tender heart and his imagination is like nothing I've ever experienced in my own life. I love everything that comes out of his mouth- his lisp and other speech impediments are just delicious. I find myself wanting to freeze time quite a bit with him.

Will gave him a plastic sword for Christmas and he carries it in the back of his t shirt everyday, and even sleeps with it like that. He sees himself as a ninja turtle (and currently only responds to being called Raphael) and frequently goes on "abentures" (adventures) to find monsters to use his ninja moves on. His favorite foods are horn dogs (corn dogs), mac and cheese, cuties (oranges), and PB chocolate chip sandwiches.

He has no desire for athletics and is just happy going on his little adventures using his imagination. Duke is our wanderer. Every family has one--a kid they have to keep an eye on in all public places because they tend to wander away. I'm sure he gets that from me. I'm still a wanderer at heart and want to go exploring all the time. He also has a wild sense of humor and has laughing attacks, just like me.

The rest of my children can grow up, but not my Duke. He needs to stay 4 forever.

When he starts school, will his sword be traded for word families and addition flash cards? Will he feel pressure to do homework over playing playdoh? Will his imagination lie dormant while he learns to read letter sounds? Will his tender heart turn stubborn in the throws of school? This is what breaks my heart.

Two days before he was set to start preschool this year, I felt really prompted to keep him home with me. It was a big shock to me, but I couldn't deny the feeling and I withdrew him from preschool. And it's truly been such a great year. Educational, not so much. But it sure has been fun! We have played with so many friends and spent hours together every day talking and playing and it's been awesome. I wouldn't trade this year for anything. I can't help but think that maybe I felt that impression because later on, I would feel inclined to start him in kindergarten and this would have been our last year together to just "be". Oh, he's such a special kid.




I have over 100 Duke selfies on my phone.


He requested I take this picture, not sure why. At what point are pants for boys a necessity? I just think their little bums in underwear are so adorable.





Duke is our tree climber. I love it. I spent so much time as a kid climbing trees. This is him in the front yard.


We walked to the top of the highest point in Austin (it's not that high, like maybe 50 stairs) and this is them at the top. Duke doing ninja moves in the picture.







We rake leaves in Austin in December. Duke enjoyed the leaf like more than anyone. His heart is always saying "how can we have more fun in this situation?"

1 comment:

Teri Wadman said...

What a great post. I see so many similarities between your Duke and my Spencer. Most picture I have of him are in his underwear doing ninja moves. I love your faith in yourself as a mother and I love that about you.