Monday, December 14, 2009

Praise to the Man

One of my favorite, most under-rated, parts of the Christmas season is Joseph Smith's birthday on December 23rd. Last Sunday, our Sunday School lesson was about the life of Joseph Smith. One portion of the lesson we were asked to list, just for 3 minutes, what doctrines we have because they were revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith. I found myself running out of space in my head and my paper because it seemed that almost every aspect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ traced back to the Savior through Joseph Smith- a humble man from New York who, as a boy, earnestly prayed to know what church he should join.

I've thought so much about this list since attending church yesterday and I realized that all of the things that are a part of this Gospel make me so happy, like knowing:

I will be with my family forever, no matter when death comes to any of us.

I am have the ability to repent of my faults and can try to become more like Christ.

I have the Book of Mormon as a true witness of Jesus Christ and as well as guide for my life.

I know where I am going after I die. And I know where my relatives and friends are since they have passed away.

I know my prayers are answered by a real God, having a body just like me, of flesh and bone.

I can make covenants in the temple through the power of the Priesthood.


And so, because of this, I know I have a testimony of Joseph Smith because all of the things we have because of his service, make me so happy. They give my life meaning and bring so much joy, happiness, and comfort to my family. I have never once felt that I needed to question if Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God because I just know that the Gospel made me so happy, and makes all of the yucky parts of my life so much better because I have the stability of knowing who I am, where I came from, and where I am going. And I have all of these things because of a loving Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ, and His servants, the Prophets.

Visit here if you would like to know more about Joseph Smith or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

1 comment:

steph said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out about Joseph Smith's birthday and I thought, "How cool is that?!" While we celebrate Christ's birth, life, and resurrection it just makes sense to also celebrate the man who brought about the Restoration that gave us that wonderful knowledge. Thanks again!