Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

This year, Thanksgiving was quite different, but in a good way. After thinking the day would be miserable because the normal festivities would not be able to happen this year because of my sickness, I don't think it could have been more perfect.

My Dad-in-Law came to see us and while we're always excited to see him, we usually only get to see him while he's stopping here for dinner on a business trip and we've been wanting some uninterrupted Lynn-time for a while. We picked him up from the airport and went to eat at a favorite italian place that we always seem to eat at when Lynn is in town. And...I ate! Still not keen on lots of meat, but I slowly and steadily cruised through my eggplant parmesan. A very welcome treat after so many weeks to buttered white toast.

The best part about Thanksgiving in my opinion, is that no one expects you to do anything. The day was made for everyone to go nowhere, but just sit around and eat, take naps, and talk. And lucky for me, sitting around is all I do every day, so it was nice for everyone to join me. My dear friend Camilla offered to bring us her leftovers from her thanksgiving dinner she had the day before. We added orange rolls (Slusser/Muirbrook tradition), spinach salad, cheese ball, steak, potatoes and coke. Ecclectic, but good. It was tasty and I'm so thankful I have a Dad-in-law that doesn't even hint at being disappointed at eating a reheated Thanksgiving.

And the rest of the day we did nothing. Cortney and his dad watched 3 football games that day and that was great for Cortney. He doesn't remember the last time he sat down with his dad and just watched a game. And today, we took Lynn to the airport and we're doing nothing again. My kind of day. But while Will and Cortney are taking naps, I been thinking about some specific things I'm thankful for this year. I know I say this all the time, but I'm really thankful for Columbus and everything it has given to our family. Education, eternal friends, jobs, homes, Graeters, and a lifetime of happiness. I really can't say enough about this place. It just means everything to us. And I know there will come a day when we have to move, but a part of us will always be here and I'm happy about that.

I'm also really thankful for quiet moments at night when Cortney and I can hold each other and tell each other everything is going to be ok. The feel like the Lord gives us trials and as we go through them, he also gives us small opportunities to feel refuge from the storm, and these quiet moments are what we need to keep us going.

I'm also really thankful for my Mom. Through my rough pregnancies, she seems to be the one constant. She calls each day to see how I'm feeling and even though I'm sometimes annoyed at the frequency/times at which she calls, I'm really thankful that she tries to do everything she can to cheer me up when she lives so far away.

Cortney and I are coming up on our 3rd anniversary. 4 years ago at this time, I was in Cabo San Lucas with my family for Thanksgiving missing Cortney and wishing that I was with him in cold Utah, instead of on a warm sandy beach in the pacific. That's true love! Do you ever think about what you would be doing if you didn't marry the person you married? I really have no clue what would have happened if I hadn't met Cortney. At the time I met Cortney, I was done with dating. After a long string of duds, I just decided I was going to finish school asap and get out of Provo. I had a promising career ahead and I was certain it would have nothing to do with Provo and dating and I looked forward to it. And then somehow, the Lord changed my heart and everything that has happened since then (grad school, moving, Will, baby #2) seem so comfortable and right. And I'm thankful for that, because it reassures me that God has a plan for me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: