Saturday, December 4, 2010

Will at the Doctor

This week Will came down with a nasty cold and there has been an outbreak of whooping cough in Columbus and apparently the rest of the US and since Duke is too young for that vaccination, I figured I should take Will to the Dr. to make sure he didn't have it, just for Duke's sake. Will had coughed ALL night, through his sleep, and well he just sounded awful. So I took him in Wednesday morning and thankfully Anna (an earth angel, she's always watching my kids in emergencies) could watch Duke and I'm SO glad she did because the next hour at the Dr. was hysterical/heart-wrenching.

Let's go back the last 2 Dr visits for Will. Last month he went and got a flu shot (not a positive experience as you might imagine). The dr visit prior to that was the last time Will was sick which was when Marcus was in the hospital (and I can't even remember when that was, but it seems like forever ago) and Will had a double ear infection. Ironically, this was not the traumatic part of this Dr visit. The traumatic part of this visit was that the Doctor, the nurse and me had to hold Will down for 5 minutes while he screamed and kicked so the Doctor could irrigate his ears to find out he had a double ear infection.

Given these last 2 experiences, it might explain why he started saying, "no! no! no!" when we were parking the car. And then when we walked in, he was covering his ears and saying, "home? home?" Luckily Max and Ruby was on the waiting room and I was able to distract him. We finally got into the exam room and I drew every stinkin' picture I could think of on the butcher paper to distract him a little longer, all the while Will was asking me to put his shoes on because he knows that if he has his shoes on we can leave.

And then the Doctor comes in...

And after assessing the situation, recommends that we test Will for W. Cough for Duke's sake because that could be really serious if Duke were to catch it. I knew it was coming and I felt awful for putting my son through torture so my other son could be healthy, but that's what I had to do. So out went the doctor to get the test. He came back with the swabs and a nurse for reinforcements. We pinned Will down and the Dr shoved swabs up each nostril, down the back of his throat and Will was screaming, "Hold you! Hold you!" the whole time with his arms stretched out. The second the Dr finished, I held Will and told him we could go and Will leaped out of my arms and ran out of the room, out of the Dr office and started banging on the car door.

Do you think there's any possible way we can get Will to go into the Doctor's office ever again? I don't think so.

2 comments:

TheSchmierneys said...

Poor Will! I hate some of the things we have to do to our kids to keep them healthy!!! Hope he's on the mend! I think ALL of my kids are "well" for the time being...ofcourse Theo is hacking ...but he can take care of himself right? Feel better Will!!! Did he have it?

Emmy said...

Time to switch pediatricians. . just to trick him! :) Hope it comes back negative. That's scary!