For those of you who know Will, you know that he’s got an amazing little motor. Because he doesn’t know what it means to sit still unless he’s watching one of his favorite movies, we have not enjoyed Church as a family since Will has been able to walk…about a year and a half. I decided that I would try and illustrate what this is like by translating his actions into what I perceive to be his thoughts during the hour I chased him around at Church yesterday:
Ok, I’ve had enough. I got my bread and water, and there’s no way I’m sitting through any of these boring talks. I’m just gonna slowly walk toward the door…and…SEE YA! Haha, they fall for that every time. First thing’s first…need to hit the drinking founta….whoa! A fire extinguisher! Let’s take a closer look. Jeez dad, why won’t you ever let me play with that? Oh well, I’ll just open this door instead. SWEET! A room full of chairs! I’m just gonna walk across these rows of chairs for a little….OH YEAH, there’s a piano in here. Let’s see how everyone likes it when I bang on the keys. Perfect, dad is talking to someone! While he’s not looking for 12 seconds I’m going to somehow find a marker and color in the Children’s Hymn book. HAHA, sucker! Playing the piano is awes….wait, is that a microphone?! I’m totally going to talk into it like all the people in Church do. Too bad it’s not plugged in. I totally forgot! DRINKING FOUNTAIN! I think I’ll just run over there, wait, that’s all I do is run. I think the drinking fountain is right around th….where do these stairs go? More importantly, what does this light switch do? Oh, it’s dark! Light…dark…light…dar…jeez Dad, what’s your deal? You wait here, I’m going to walk up these stairs and open the door at the top of the room. HAHA, I love pretending that I can’t hear my Dad when he asks me not to do stuff, what a weirdo! Oh, it’s dark in here. I’ll walk around anyway…hey Dad, ok, ok, I’m coming. I need a drink anyway. Let me just pull out the footstool so I can reach it. WHAT’S THIS? There’s a pool of water on the footstool from when other people got drinks here? No use wasting it, I’ll just slurp it up….OUCH, let go of my arm and chill out Dad! I love drinking fountains…while I’m here I might as well spit it out. Jeez, the old man is no fun today. Ok…let’s run…another kid is running around! RACE! I’m totally winning, I’m so fas….is this the room with all the toys in it? Yep! Seriously, Dad’s talking to someone again? Rookie mistake, but the time he gets in here I’ll have gotten all these toys and make a huge mess. Haha, I knew he was going to be mad…you stay here and clean those up and I’m going to see what’s in this garbage can. What’s tha…HEY, let go! What’s in this room? Yikes! That’s where the boring meeting is…no thanks. Well, it’s freezing today, might as well try and go outside. Yeah, didn’t think he’d let me get too far. Hey, it’s my buddy Luke! TACKLE HIM! Well, explain this to me Dad, if tackling him is such a bad thing then why is he laughing? Whatever, time for another drink!
This is how it is every Sunday. It’s nonstop, relentless, exhausting, and actually a lot of fun
3 comments:
That is BY FAR the best commentary for a 2 year old I've ever heard... I can picture Will EVERY step of the way... his little smile.... the laughing after tackling Luke..... I love that kid!!! I promise he will eventually sit down for church.... but by then Duke will be the one running the halls! :)
That's awesome. And all too familiar. I have a little man with the same type of motor. Where do they sell those? Because I NEED one.
I love it. It is funny to think about how fast their brain goes and what they are thinking. I was thinking just the other day...am I ready to deal with all of that at church again. That is probably one of the hardest times to deal with an active child.
Post a Comment