The next day, Sunday, was Cortney's actual birthday but I didn't have anything planned except for making a slightly nicer dinner than normal because the real celebration (baseball game) was supposed to have already happened.
Sunday was one of the most difficult days with Will yet, so I didn't even get around to making dinner until 7:30. The rest of the day was consumed with both of us losing our temper with Will and wishing we could take a nap.
Cortney doesn't care about his birthday, but I felt bad that we hadn't really done anything fun so I decided we needed to do something else.
I talked to our neighbors to see if they could watch the boys do I could go to DC and surprise Cort and go to dinner. These same neighbors know way more about DC than we do and recommended an italian place called Filomena.
So the babysitter came over at 5:45, and I left for the metro. I absolutely love riding the metro sans kids. It is so lovely and relaxing to be traveling and not driving OR wrestling kids. I read the whole time.
I hurried off the metro and walked to his office and text him this picture:

I was just trying to get enough of me and enough of the building that he would figure out it was me outside of his building. First, my face looks huge. Second, you can see some major wrinkles under my eyes. Third, I hate my one tooth that pokes out. Stupid implant.
Luckily Cort instantly got the message and responded, "are you here? I'll be right down"
He came downstairs and i proudly announced that i woukd be kidnapping him for dinner. We ran back upstairs to get his backpack and we were off on our mystery date.
We walked half a mile into Georgetown and passed all sorts of restaurants that looked and smelled yummy. I informed Cort on the way over that this was a nice restaurant with large portions so we would be ordering one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert and he got to pick all three.
We walked into Filomena and were greeted by a sweet old Italian woman sitting at a table making raviolis. Awesome. We checked in for our reservation and went to our table.
Cort ordered the antipasti and shrimp risotto. Both were very very delicious! But we were so full we decided to skip dessert (it was a hard choice, they make all their cakes from scratch every day).

We left and took this picture on the way out. What's up with my neck poking out like that? And mental note: I really need a non mommy purse for when I go out on dates.
We walked hand in hand back to the metro and stopped at Whole Foods and shared an eclair.
It was definitely my favorite date in recent memory. I was telling Cort that there are a ton of things I don't love about DC, but one of the things at the top of the list of things I like about it is that every chance we have to go out together, there is ALWAYS something really cool to do.
P.S. today the space shuttle flew around the city before it landed at Dulles, 10 min from us, to be at the Air and Space Museum. How's that for cool??
No comments:
Post a Comment