Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wheels





These are my new wheels. As I'm typing this, I realize I haven't named it yet and I am a staunch believer that all personal modes of transportation deserve a name-a personality. Suggestions welcome.

Last week, I fled to Columbus with the little boys to 1) get some quality time with the Stacy's before we have to drive two extra hours to visit 2) spend quality time with all other friends in Columbus and 3) escape DC.

It was lovely. We had so much fun and it was so great to see Will and Luke playing/fighting again. I spent Sunday morning with Carie, and I got a little choked up thinking about what a true and loyal friend she is. She came toting toys and cookies, as she usually does. So thoughtful. And my time with Lauren was phenomenal. We decided that this fall we would meet up in NYC, sans boys (big and small), for a weekend to just eat and walk and see shows. My heart can hardly wait!

But somewhere through West Virginia, on our way back to Virginia, I felt that lonely feeling again. The acknowledgement that I'm headed back to a life where I'll probably only have about two meaningful conversations with adults (not including Cort, of course) in any given week.

I missed my Ohio friends. Already. Cortney suggested (also some time in West Virginia) that I buy a bike when we get back. Something Ive talked about for a while. So I started looking on Craigslist on the drive back and low and behold, I found this beauty for $45. I bought it from a "bike guy" who was wearing bike shorts when he answered the door when I came over. He then opened up his garage revealing 12 bikes of all different shapes and sizes, which he said he rode regularly. Needless to say, I was confident this was a well groomed bike. And it was.

I bought the cheapest trailer on Amazon ($89) and the day it came, I took the boys out and they were in love. We live right by a paved bike trail that goes all the way to the river (Potomac, that is). They loved it so much, we went on three bike rides that day. And we have gone on at least 2 bike rides a day since then. It has become our main mode of transportation. We ride to school, the library, the park, the drug store, the grocery store, the pediatrician, or we just ride. Unless we are going to church, St Kathryn's, or taking Will to play group, we ride everywhere.

And you know what? I have felt more content and at peace with my life in VA than the previous 7 month combined. There's just something so peaceful about jumping on a bike and riding away. And when you push to the top of a hill and feel the breeze cool you down as you coast to the bottom. Everyday when I ride with Duke on the trail I think, "wow. You get out of the traffic and get away from the rude people, and this really is a gorgeous place." And it is, too. The trees are so lush and tall and the sky is incredibly blue with fluffy white clouds. We are just in our little bike world, away from the craziness of DC.

It sounds so stupid, but this bike has made me so happy. I've become kind of addicted to it and I find myself wanting to go out a take a ride just to decompress after the boys go to sleep.

Maybe the boosts of endorphins throughout the day has made me happier? Or the added Vitamin D? Knowing I'm not paying for gas any time I want to go somewhere is also a great mood booster, I would think. A random added bonus is that now when I go to the gym, I only work out about half the time. In fact, I haven't worked out at the gym at all this week. Both times, I came in my jeans and read for 1.5 hours and didn't feel guilty at all, since I had already rode my bike all over town with the boys.

My gym membership is the best $70 I spend every month on multiple fronts. And I have been cruising through books. I think I have read 5 books in the last 4 weeks. A record, no doubt.




I also discovered Graeter's AND Jeni's on the same shelf at a specialty food store (within biking distance, of course), by our house. This warmed my soul like you wouldn't believe.

I know I'll never love living in NOVA, but I think I might have turned a corner this week. Or at least made the realization that I can still find joy with my life in spite of non-preferred surroundings.

That statement sounds so petty and juvenile.

Proof I have a lot of maturing and all around growing-up to do.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I can totally relate. Even though I don't currently own a bike, I remember on my mission that riding a bike was extremely therapeutic for me. I realized how much of the world I miss when I drive by in a car. You make me want a bike again.

carie said...

Oh we miss our Amy! Next time I see you there must be icecream! Enjoy the bike. Do a nice workout for the enormous pregnant lady!