I work with some really fun people (in fact, there's really only 2 people-out of 30- that I work with that I wouldn't want to hang out with outside of work) and one of my favorites is a young twenty-something named Brian. He is incredibly sarcastic and his voice is identical to Michael Cera. One night we were talking about religion, he being Jewish and I being a Mormon. Our conversation went something like this..
Me: you know, Mormons probably know more about Judaism than probably any other western religion.
Brian: oh, really?
Me: yeah, there are a lot of events that are important to us that revolve around Passover, so it's not uncommon for Mormons to host Passover dinners. I've even attended a few Hanukkah dinners.
Brian: oh, that's cool. I didn't know that.
Me: yeah, really the only difference is we believe Elijah already came.
Brian: yeah, I always thought it would be so awkward if Elijah came and he brought a date and all these years we've only been setting out one chair.
This is where I start laughing. The imagery is so hilarious to me. Someone write this for an SNL skit already!! Elijah comes with a date and everyone awkwardly sets out another place setting knowing that for centuries they've only counted on him coming as an individual....of course he'd have a date/wife!!!
In other news, I recently became a card-carrying member of the Muirbrook Female Gene Pool and had my first varicose vein removed at the old age of 27. Good thing being in that gene pool brings about a million other wonderful things:) but let this be a lesson to my female cousins...Look out! The veins...they're out to getcha!
And...I hit another major goal at work. Two days in a row of selling 4k (I was even the #1 seller one day) and on top of that I've gotten some incredibly kind compliments from coworkers this week. Never underestimate the power of a genuine compliment. I will remember these kind words for a very long time and its just another reason I just really love my job and the people I work with. Today I had a sweet conversation with a coworker that went like this:
Coworker: are you Mormon?
Me: yeah! How'd you know?
Coworker: I knew it! You're blonde and you're such a good baker!
This is me, breaking Mormon stereotypes, one day at a time (NOT).
I have realized that long, blonde curly hair is an anomaly in the East. I have at least one client every day ask me, is THAT your natural color? And when I say yes you can hear their audible sigh. Helps me sell a lot of clothes... They get to the register and say "the girl with the blonde hair helped me."
Friday, December 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment