Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prayer

Our kids go through cycles whether they like prayer and scripture study or not. After a long stretch where they screamed "Nnnnnnooooooooo!!!!!" every time we mentioned prayer, they both seem to be on board with prayer as of late*.

Tonight Duke prayed before he went to bed and the intelligible words I caught were bath, medicine, pasta, and milk. I just love hearing their prayers. It reminds me of what my prayers should be...conversing with my Father in Heaven about the happenings of my day, instead of a list at the end of the day.

*I suck at enforcing scripture study. Our "scripture study" is reading one scripture mastery scripture. This happens four times a week, on a good week. It sounds so painfully simple, but yet it is so hard for us to accomplish most of the time. I really hope I get the hang of it soon. I really want the boys to remember having regular scripture study throughout their life like I did (how my mom organized a real 15 min scripture study with 4 kids at a time is totally mind blowing to me), and they don't remember that we did it "sometimes".


1 comment:

acandiedapple said...

Ooh I have the best tip for you. Next to the TV I have a large mason jar filled with M&Ms. Those are scripture M&Ms and Calder knows it. He gets to eat M&Ms while I read scriptures. Most days he is the one to initiate scripture reading. I don't even care that it is just so he can eat M&Ms because he is sitting still and actually listens and asks questions about what we are reading. The trick is making it so the only time that jar opens is during scripture reading. And when his M&Ms are gone we are done. Thankfully he is a slow eater.