10 pm: Will wakes up screaming, literally, and grabbing his ear saying it hurts. He immediately asks for a bandaid and puts it over his ear. After quite a bit of sobbing, he's able to calm down a go back to sleep. I've never seen him in this much pain. It was heart wrenching.

Friday 6:30 am: Will wakes up for the day. He crawls in bed with Cort and he feels warm and he's a little weepy. We take his temperature to find he's at 102. Motrin administered.
8 am: wait for the Dr to open, only to find out they had walk in hours earlier. I know he's in pain, and i ask Will if there's anything he wants for breakfast. He says a chocolate ice cream cone. We go to the grocery store in a snow storm to buy chocolate ice cream and cones. In my book, you should get to eat anything you want when you're sick.
9:30 am: we see the Dr and Will cries that he doesn't want to go because he feels all better. He's jumping around the Dr office, acting completely Will-like. Temperature is taken and its down to 99. Dr finds a "nasty, nasty" ear infection. We also discover he's lost 4 lbs (10% of his nody weight) since his ENT appt 2 weeks ago. This is worrisome. Especially since Will is going to lose more weight after his surgery in 2 weeks.
10:15 am: fill the prescription at CVS. Will calmly asks for another bandaid for his ear. He also asks for McDonalds. We get food, but he doesn't eat anything. We get home and I give him antibiotics.
Noon: Will falls asleep on the couch. So does Duke, but he only sleeps for 15 minutes. Sigh. Not good.
1 pm: I notice Wills eyes are barely open. I call his name and he doesn't respond. I feel him and he's burning up. I take his temperature and its 104.3. I immediately call the Dr and they tell me to give him another dose of Motrin, and a dose of Tylenol and to call them back in an hour and tell them if his temp has gone down. Run to CVS again to get tylenol and sprite. He hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since his ice cream cone. Will's eyes are glassy, he can't stand by himself, and his lips are maroon. Trying not to freak out. I come out to the car with the medicine and sprite. He drinks maybe 1 teaspoon of sprite.
2 pm: watching the clock and Will like a hawk. I take his temp again and it's down to 102. Call the Dr back and she says to keep giving him Tylenol and Motrin for the next 24 hrs. His "nasty, nasty" ear infection is probably just awful and his body is freaking out trying to fight it. Dr reassures me they'll be open Saturday am, if the night doesn't go well.

3 pm: Will asks for a sandwich and cheese, which after a few failed attempts I realize is a grilled cheese sandwich (he hasn't liked these much in the past). We make it together and Will finishes it quickly. Doesn't his neck look super skinny?

3:30 pm: trying to strike while the iron is hot, I make a batch of cookies because I know Will will eat them. He eats 2 spoonfuls of cookie dough.
4 pm: Will and Duke wrestle in the living room (Duke gets his head caught under the buffet table momentarily) while a neighbor comes over and chats for a little bit.
5 pm: we go to the grocery store to grab a few things. Duke is a freaking mess from no nap. My "sick" child is by far the easier one at this time of the day.
6 pm: we get home and Will asks for his chicken nuggets and fries from earlier. I nuke them and he polishes them off with a smile on his face. He's an absolute gem the rest of the night. Give him another dose of Tylenol and antibiotics.
7 pm: Duke puts himself to bed. Thank goodness.
9 pm: Will falls asleep.
Saturday 3:30 am: Will is in my bed (he must have migrated there at some point during the night) and starts stirring. He finally comes to and keeps sticking his finger in his ear. He tells me his ear hurts and needs some water. He feels a little warm and I give him more Tylenol and Motrin.
4 am: Will and I cuddle on the couch and watch nickelodeon.
What I look/feel like right now

1 comment:
We just went through this with our kids. By the looks of your picture, I'd say you're handling it like a champ.
Post a Comment