I'm due Oct 6 (so, really, late Sept). I'm 10 weeks along.
I went on a lovely cruise with my beloved, and I spent the day after we got back in the ER getting fluids. Time and luck was on our side. I was only "really" sick 1.5 days on our cruise. Had it been more, they probably would have life flighted me off the ship. True story.
Mom and Dad stayed with the boys while we were gone. They were amazing. Will was supposed to have his tonsils out the day after we got back (day I was in the ER), but couldn't because he had a cold. We, now, feel it was a huge blessing he couldn't have the surgery then because my health deteriorated so quickly.
The next day, my mom and dad left to go back to CA and I truly felt like a part of me had died when they left. I was devastated. And very sick. And I had no clue how I'd ever be able to handle this.
48 hours after I went to the ER, I had another appt with my OB (Gaynecologist). He took one look at me and said, "I'm admitting you. Right now." Luckily a good friend was with me and heard it the same as I had and forced me to go home and pack my things and then drove me to the hospital. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have tried to talk him out of it.
I immediately call my mom and tell her she needs to come back. She agrees and buys a ticket on the red eye the following day.
I call Cort next and stutter through the Dr's orders and he acts like its any other day and says he'll be home in time to get Will off the bus. Cool as a cucumber, this one. This ain't his first rodeo.
I made it to the hospital and after a few regular hospital mistakes (is it possible to go to the hospital admittance process smoothly?), I finally made it to my room. It felt like a hotel. Perk of living in an affluent place.
They gave me an IV, after finally finding a vein (a few tries were unsuccessful-I never have that problem-because my veins had collapsed). I also peed in a cup. It was brown. TMI, I know. Two nurses told me they had never ever seen anything like that before. I heard one nurse call my Dr right after that and said, "Her urine was brown. Like, brown, brown." in a worried voice.
I spent 9 days in the hospital. The first half of my stay I wasn't allowed to eat anything besides ice chips and broth. And I had to beg for them to give me that. They wanted to give me stomach a break after the trauma it had been through thus far. I went through 3-4 bags of fluid a day.
The difference with this pregnancy and the last two so far is that being rehydrated didn't make me feel that much better. Usually I feel like new after a few bags of fluid. This time around, I felt marginally better.
I lost 1-2 lbs a day in the hospital.
All my nurses were SO nice. Angels.
A few days in, they decided to give me a midline, which is a shorter version of a PICC line, so that when I went home, I couldn't give myself IVs.
This procedure hurts. They shove a tube up your bicep and I had a dead arm for two days.
I almost got discharged twice, but then I'd start vomiting again and I'd have to stay longer.
Truth be told, I didn't mind my hospital stay. I never once felt stir crazy and never even desired to leave my room. Proof that I was weak and in bad shape. I just wanted to sleep all the time.
Mom had to leave two days before I left the hospital. I was really sad, again. But, holy smokes, my ward picked up where she left off, and then some. The boys have had the time of their lives since I've been sick. They'll be disappointed when I start feeling better.
Historically, I have about 5 more weeks of nastiness.
Sometimes I wake up at night because my body is gagging in its sleep. So gross. I dry heave all the time. Gross. Gross. Gross.
Will has been super protective of me. On days I feel horrible, he won't leave me for anything. Kind of sweet, yet kind of annoying when all you want is to be left alone.
Some days I literally can't move. Others, I can at least walk around my house. I usually judge how good the day has been if I want to shoot myself or not. Best case scenario is I feel 50%. Most days I'm in the 20-30% range.

My Picc line taped up, ready for a shower.

All of my bags and syringes and vitamins and everything else to get my IV started for the day.

Naked PICC line.

The little parasite, whom I'm sure I will love a lot, one day. But right now, it doesn't even register there's anything to bond with, besides a toilet.
1 comment:
How do you keep having babies? I don't think I would survive going threw that 3 times like you are.. So glad you have an awesome ward to help you out... Hope you survive the next 5 weeks! I will pray for your survival friend..
Post a Comment