
One of Cortney's classmates, Lauren Ross, hosts a very la-ti-da kind of Kentucky Derby party. She has it at her parent's house in New Albany and this year she even hired a bar tender. Everyone is supposed to wear spring dresses with hats/linen suits. This was the best we could do:) However, I will have you know that all of our outfits came from Goodwill, including Cort's Banana Republic shirt with french cuffs.

It is such a fun party and I hope Lauren gets a job in Columbus so we can keep going every year. Will was the only kid there (he's the only kid at most school events) and therefore a total celebrity. I had people asking me for weeks what Will was going to wear. Luckily, I had bought a pair of seersucker shorts last summer!

The drink that is famous with the Kentucky Derby is the Mint Julep, made with Kentucky Bourbon. The bartender made us a "mock" mint julep and, no joke, it was the best drink I've ever had. Cort and I each had 3. I really need to start making those for the little dinner parties we have every once in a while.

This is Nick and he put his hat on Will and it brought the house down. Will probably had 30 pictures of him taken with Nick's hat on. If any of you didn't see the race this year, you need to check it out on Youtube. Easily the best race I've ever seen. The horse that won, was the last in the pack and still won by a long shot. Keep in mind the Kentucky Derby is only 2 minutes long, so to be in the back and then win by such a long distance is a big deal! The odds for Mine That Bird winning was 50-1. It was really cool to watch. The downside is no one won any money in the betting at the party because no one even knew who the horse was! I love when the underdog wins! And the best part was when they interviewed the horse's owner, he was wearing jeans that had an ironed crease down the middle. Probably safe to say, he didn't think he would win either.
No comments:
Post a Comment