Monday, November 16, 2009

A Vacation From Our Problems

Yesterday Cortney and I had some down time while Will was napping and we decided to talk. This might seem odd that we actually needed to decide to "chat" with each other, but that is kind of what has been happening around here lately. What happened then was an all out bawl session. These past few weeks have been so stressful-to say the least. Its so hard to feel connected when you're just in survival-mode for the duration of the sickness. We both aired our grievances and I suggested we try to take a vacation after I feel better in the Spring and before the baby comes so we had time to reconnect, forget morning sickness, and gear up for sleepless nights. What ensued after that was a half hour of surfing the internet for cruises. We figured our only way of getting this to be a "mommy and daddy only" trip was to head to CA and leave Will with the Slussers. With Grandma and Grandpa, Jacob and Emily, and Jared and Tara all in the same town, we figured one couple would take pity on us and play with Will while we were gone. Called Grandma and she thought it was a great idea and was happy to take Will. Score!

As we have calculated how much this will cost, it will definitely tip the scale as the most expensive vacation we've ever taken, even though many would think the rates we got were a steal. Somehow over the last 2 years, we've paid nothing or next to nothing for all our vacations. But ever since yesterday, I've felt a little more chipper. A little more spring in my step. And this morning, I actually woke up a little giddy, and let me tell you, I have not felt giddy for 1 second during this pregnancy. It just has given me something to look forward to. I feel like I can actually imagine myself wearing make-up again and eating real food, while enjoying lots of vitamin D in the sunshine. I feel like we/I need it so badly that I almost don't care what it costs.

So if any of our siblings have our name this year for Christmas, or our parents don't know what to get us, please just help us get away. We're taking any and all donations!

5 comments:

Janelle said...

oh but i bet it will be totally worth it. andrew and i also have to schedule time to talk these days. right now we are trying to decide what we should do when the school year is over. a nice long cruise is at the tippy top of my list.

Lindsay said...

Sounds like a blast! And I totally appreciate your "What About Bob" title...love it.

Lauren said...

andrew always needs a vacation to look forward to. whenever he is stressed he starts planning one. lets just say we go on a lot of trips. i'm happy for you guys!

Tamber said...

I am glad that you have something to look forward to when you are having such a rough time with the pregnancy. It always helps to have something to look forward to. I have to say I am jealous...a vacation sounds so nice right now.

steph said...

Good for you guys! I totally recommend it. We did a cruise when I was 17 weeks, and while I couldn't go on all of the excursions, I was able to relax as much as I wanted.

FYI - before the trip, the cruise ship had me fax some paperwork my Dr signed, then when we were going through dock security they wanted to see the paperwork again (cuz they lost it) so I was lucky I brought it. Then I had to see the ship Dr, and when I got on the boat they told me I had to see the Dr again ... So getting on the boat was a drawn out process and I would make sure you have snacks so you don't reach over the counter and strangle the crew. But after we straightened everything out, I was great for the rest of the trip - and I always carried my Dr note.

I DEFINITELY still recommend going despite the run around you may get at the beginning. I just wanted to give you fair warning so you aren't as frustrated as I was.

Have fun planning your trip! You totally deserve it!