Sunday, November 14, 2010

Will's Favorite Book

Before I tell this story, I want to state that this is NOT Will's favorite book, Cortney just wishes it were just for humorous reasons. About a year ago I had a little cash and I went to the used book sale at the library to get some books to add to Will's library. I found all kinds of cool books and I thought I should grab a few "older" books even though Will wouldn't read them soon, he might look at them when he's in school. That being said, I grabbed some really cool books about spys, geography, animal migration, etc. I came across this book and thought, "huh, he might have to do a report on this in 3rd grade or something." The book is about Japanese internment camps in WW2. Now before you decide I'm totally crazy, keep in mind that I'm from Southern California, and Japanese internment camps where a major part of our curriculum in elementary school, among lots of time playing Oregon Trail (best computer game ever, by the way).

So now back to Will. It occurred to me the other day, "What is a 2 year old doing with a book about Japanese Internment Camps?" And to add insult to injury, Cortney is always joking around at bedtime asking Will if he wants to read the story about Japanese Internment Camps. It would only make the story funnier if it actually were Will's favorite story. Luckily he has no interest in it, yet. But I can only imagine us trying to tell Will the story of this American blunder. Will, a long time ago someone from Japan decided to do something really mean to a lot of people in Hawaii...Americans thought that all people from Japan were naughty...so we decided to lock them up...for a long time...and then we realized that was a horrible idea...and we promised to never racially profile again...until the McCarthy era, the civil rights movement, the Cold War, and 9/11 happened...and then, well, you get the idea...but we're NEVER going to do it again!


Until we have to have this awkward conversation, I can guarantee Will is the only 2 year old with this book in his personal library.

1 comment:

carie said...

One of the internment camps was not far from where I grew up...I like your explanation. I will use it with Grace if I ever have to explain it to her. Please don't ask her if she wants to read that book! She may say "yes".