This last week has been interesting. Not interesting in that we did lots of big cool things together, but interesting in that I think I've spent more time on my knees asking Heavenly Father for guidance than I can ever really remember. Do you ever have weeks like this? Where Murphy's law seems to happen with almost every aspect of your world and you stand in awe of how many things can go wrong in so little time and you just plead that God can help you piece everything back together when you never intended on breaking it apart in the first place?
In the midst of this emotional week, the Conference Ensign arrived. Truly a blessing, in more ways than one. I spent more than a few evenings devouring these messages, feeling direct answers to my prayers and a loving Father in Heaven who knew me perfectly. He was aware of what I was struggling with and more importantly, He was pleased with me.
This weekend was also Stake Conference and I must say, I really look forward to Stake Conference. I used to think it was a "free pass" and an hour less of church, but I love listening to our Stake Presidency and I know they are inspired to say what I need to hear. I always come away with a bigger zeal for life and feel encouraged to make positive changes in my life. This particular Stake Conference was a broadcast from Salt Lake. President Eyring spoke and he talked about being a "wise optimist" and I've been thinking about it ever since and how I can be more of a wise optimist in my life, family, relationships, calling, and community.
The closing hymn was "Praise to the Man"-- a hymn about the Prophet Joseph Smith. While this has always been one of my favorite hymns, I don't think it has ever pierced my soul like it did that day and I've been thinking about it ever since.
Joseph Smith has a lot of noteworthy qualities, but lately I have been admiring his ability to rise above the challenges he faced in his life. Except for a few circumstances, he never had the satisfaction of being able to provide for his family and mostly lived by donations from others. How difficult to be the "provider" of your family and not be able to do so!
Throughout his life, Joseph Smith gained many followers, and many haters. But what is so amazing to me is that as many times that we was wronged, harassed, criticized, attacked and persecuted, he never took the time to feel sorry for himself or even depressed that he was "unliked". He just kept going because he was on the Lord's errand, and there was work to do. He consistently rose to the challenge when most would not. He held his head high and continued to do good to those that despised him. And he lived a very happy, very fulfilled life against all those obstacles. From this I take away 2 things...
1. When you feel criticized, demeaned, misunderstood, unwanted, down on your luck or feel like you need to take a moment to feel "down" (which there's nothing wrong with that, perfectly healthy), after you finish your moment, start singing Praise to the Man. It'll put your priorities back in perspective real fast, in addition to reminding you that your trials are nowhere near as hard as what he endured and even then, they were "for but a moment".
2. In the end, good guys finish on top. Some would argue that Joseph Smith lost, because he was murdered before he could see many fruits of his labors, or before any of the early pioneers made it to SLC. But it couldn't be more opposite in my mind. There is no question where he is right now, and in the end isn't that the best reward of all? And all of the people who have wronged, ridiculed, and criticized him--Heavenly Father is a God of justice and mercy and they have, I am sure, had to answer for their actions and have been given opportunities to reconcile. It might look like things didnt even out in this life, but eternity is a heck of a lot longer than our mortal experience and thats where it counts. If I had to pick between a life of being loved with fame and fortune and an uncertain eternity or being criticized my entire life for my beliefs but being able to be happy throughout eternity, I most certainly would pick the latter.
If you're reading through this and think,"this is so random and isn't coherent", you're probably right. I'm exhausted. Refer to paragraph 1.
One more thing and then I'll be done. This is by far my favorite quote of the moment, and has helped me IMMENSELY in recent weeks.
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted...it is through sorrow and suffering, trial and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire, and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in Heaven."
-Orson F. Whitney
As much as I dread stressful weeks, the bright side is they are fantastic for my weight loss goals. 4 lbs this week! Woot Woot!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I loved this entry. I know this is kind of going to sound silly, but I am little jealous. Jealous that you are in a moment in your life that you are so close to the Lord and want his direction in everything. That's the problem when things are easy . . . you have to remember to do that. Not saying I didn't earn this easy year with the last two years under my belt! I feel very blessed that it's been uneventful. But, I do love those moments when things aren't *perfect* and I am trying so hard to understand, on my knees, communicating to Heavenly Father. "Except the Lord chasten his people, they will not remember him", Hel. 12:3 That scripture was written for me. Thanks for helping me to remember. I need to try harder. Love you!
Thanks for the post. All things that we frequently need to be reminded of. Thanks for reminding me.
I am glad that your weight loss is going well. It's been nice to hear from you so frequently.
Absolutely loved this post. Thanks, Amy!
it's so easy to focus on that one "thing/person" that doesnt like us or is making life hard and forget all the peopl that DO love us for exactly who we are and for the many things that ARE going right! you are an amazing mother/wife/sister/daughter and friend! My life just wouldnt be the same without you in it! :) Glad you're able to gain some insight to the lessons you needed to learn these past few weeks
Post a Comment