Friday, May 20, 2011

'til we eat again

While in search of the cheapest Christmas gift that I could give to 10 adults last December, I had an epiphany--everyone loves food. Yes, well, that's a given. But since everyone on this gift list was at least 5 states away from me, sending them food would be expensive and well, stale.

And then the real epiphany came. Recipes. And there it was. Thus started a 3 week marathon of no napping and late nights typing 50 recipes and commentary for a book (binder, really) entitled 'Til We Eat Again.

Since then, I've gotten
more than a few emails starting out, "You don't know me, but I'm your sister-in-law's friend and she showed me your cookbook and ... Well, i was wondering if I could have the e copy." I was so flattered! Someone actually wanted MY recipes?! And they kept asking. And kept texting "just made the pb chic chip cookies! OMG" and "my husband thinks I'm the best cook now because of your recipe book". Whenever i get these compliments, seriously, I'm just on cloud nine. It makes my week that I could make someone so happy trough food.

And then, during a moment of motherhood monotony, it dawned on me. I love writing. I love cooking. Why not combine forces?! I milled it over a few more times and the idea just kept getting bigger and better every time with each fantasy. And now we get to the point of this post. I'm writing a cookbook.

I wouldn't define it solely as a cookbook, maybe a recipe memoir is more accurate. The goal is to create a cookbook that can be read as a memoir, telling about the story of our family through food and cooking. It's something you can curl up with. Laugh and cry with. And make some delicious eats from.

I'll publish it on my own and anyone who would like a copy can buy one, as well as printing a few extra to send to publishers. I don't ever expect to hear anything back, but I guess you never know until you try.

I've been excited ever since I decided to do this and if nothing else, it'll be a really fun challenge for me. I have been somewhat hobby-less for a while and I need a new/attainable project. Can't wait to start!

Goal: Ready to publish in 6 months.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

Alicia said...

Um... I want a copy.
What are you using to write/design it? I am in LOVE with blurb.
Good luck. You're my hero.

steph said...

Sign me up! That's awesome! I'm seriously looking forward to it. I'm not just saying that -- I really need the help in the kitchen. Way to go!

Lauren said...

So fun! I love the idea.

Harada's said...

Very cool! I think its a great idea. I would for sure buy one. :)

TheSchmierneys said...

I just pulled some of your pumpkin muffins from the oven not 5 minutes ago! You are a fabulous cook and I look up to my own personal copy of "till we eat again" often for inspiration! I can't wait to have my very own hard copy, autographed by the author of course!!! And you never know who might have connections with a publisher!!!

Darren & Kenna said...

That's awesome Amy. Can't wait until it's done! I could definitely use some more recipes! Oh, and I'm sorry I haven't sent your CD of pics yet, I'll try to get to that in the very near future!!! :)

Kristen said...

Put me down! Happy writing (and eatting)!