Monday, June 13, 2011

Shanghai on my mind

For some odd reason, my mind has been reeling about China today. And more than once I have shed a few tears over how much I miss China and that gorgeous city, shanghai. Other than living in Ohio, I have never felt more at home in my life than when I lived in China.

Most of all, I've been thinking about taking Will and Duke there and showing them everything and allowing them to have the same cultural immersion I had while I was there that truly changed my life. I want them to eat fresh mandarin oranges and pomelos from the street vendors and to see how bright the Bund is and how it almost hurts your eyes there is so much light. I want them to see the way everyone lives, riding bikes everywhere they go and seeing old couples walk home and knowing they have walked that same path home together for the last 50 years. I want everyone to relish over their fair skin and blonde hair (seriously, they would be more famous than Brad Pitt over there) and understand the beauty in their culture. I want them to go to the carrefour because it's the only place you can find decent chocolate and eat delicious watermelon Popsicles. I want them to see what incredibly good and caring people populate Asia and have a desire to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them, when it's possible. I want them to see and understand what Asia means to their parents and what a profound impact it has had on out lives. I want them to correctly say their Chinese names with pride, knowing they belong to that heritage as well, even though they are adopted.

It's such a beautiful place, surrounded by the nicest people on the face of the earth. I pray often that Heavenly Father will provide a way for us to make it back to China, so we can share our love affair with the boys. But I will admit that I have been praying for this more fervently lately and I can honestly say that if I were given the chance to go back, I would leave tomorrow with absolutely no reservations.

China, you and I were meant to be together. Why must there be half of the US and the Pacific Ocean between us? I miss you more than words can say.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Becka & Jared said...

Funny, I was having those exact thoughts recently... :( I want to go back SO bad and can't believe it's almost been 7 years. One of these days we should plan a "family trip" and get over there!