This Christmas has been a little rough-not going to lie. I usually look forward to this time of year as a time to grow spiritually and spend lots of time with our beloved friends, but because of moving I feel like we just skipped Christmas. I've spent every waking moment trying to help Will adjust (please keep him in your prayers, he's really struggling with all these changes) that I haven't even watched TV since we moved (except for when Duke wakes up at 4 for no reason, then I watch Barefoot Contessa with him), let alone put any effort into the holiday. You'd think we were Jewish if you saw our house right now. Not a single decoration.
Yesterday I started crying, realizing that it's Christmas Eve and I had spent no time reading my scriptures (I love reading 3 Nephi, and prophecies of the Savior in the Old Testament) to prepare for this blessed day where we celebrate the birth of Christ. I felt so guilty. And overwhelmed. Adding to that, the two families we are close to in Vienna are away this Christmas. I was really feeling homesick and grumpy.
Luckily we have one other friend in DC.....the Wilcox Family! We made our way up to Silver Springs and had a great time being with friends and making new ones. Just that camaraderie really helped me feel better about the day. I also decided one of the reason it didn't feel very Christmas-y was that I made zero holiday food this year.
After Cami's, I decided enough is enough and I went to the store and bought too much fattening stuff and went home and started cooking/baking away. That really helped. Food really can heal the soul.
Next year, I have vowed to have a Christmas tree and lots of decorations and I'm planning on hitting up some after Christmas sales to stock up on tree trimmings in preparation.
Christmas 2012- I'll be ready for you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh man. It is so hard to move to a new place any time but I bet it is the worst at this time of year. I'm glad we could help turn things around. 2012 is going to be an awesome year!
Post a Comment