Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thoughts at 2:47 am

A coughing attack in the middle of the night has lead me here, and hopefully back to sleep right after.

I went to bed on Tuesday night at 9 pm not wanting to watch the election results because I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a President decided by the next day, because so many of the states were so close. I woke up around six and looked at Facebook to see what everyone was saying about the election and found out that Obama had been reelected. Did I personally vote for him? No. But I was absolutely shocked at the hatred on Facebook at the thought of "4 more years". And full disclosure, most of these comments were from Mormons. All day I kept checking back thinking everyone would mellow out and it just got worse. Among some of the comments were:

1. A few references to Obama being the antiChrist.
2. A picture of the American flag at half mast with the caption "Goodbye America. Nice knowing you."
3. A few people committing to gaining a solid food storage in the next few months and becoming better trained in the areas of shooting guns and marksmanship.
4. Too many references that NOW we must REALLY pray for God to bless our country, because I guess if a republican would have made it to the White House that wouldn't be necessary.

I literally wanted to crawl under a rock all day. To all of those "commenters" from yesterday, today, and any time forward, I say to you, stop it. Just stop it. You don't have to agree with the President, or even like him. But our religion is one that teaches respect for our government's leaders and I will continue to teach my children to have respect for the office of the President of the United Sates, whether I agree with him or not because we believe in honoring, obeying, and sustaining the law. In addition, our faith has a long tradition of praying for the leaders of our country, so that will continue as normal and not just because your candidate didn't get elected. We pray for the troops who continue to sacrifice so that we can have this wonderful liberty of being able to choose our leaders, voice all of our ideas and concerns, and worship freely.

But all this apocalypse talk has got to stop. The world is exactly the same today as it was yesterday. Do I think the country is headed in the wrong direction? Sometimes. Do I think there will be more than a few economic "I told you so" situations in the near future? Yes. But, please, for the love, put away your 250 lbs of wheat and your guns/bow and arrows. The world is not coming to an end---yet. The sun came up yesterday morning the same way it has everyday before that. Let's put all this energy we have for mudslinging and put it to good use focusing on strengthening our families. Haven't we learned by now that we can't control what goes on in the "world"? But we can control what goes on in our own homes. And if we do our jobs at home, the "world" becomes irrelevant.

For a group of people that has all the answers to all of life's hardest questions, Mormons (and Republicans) were sure a bunch of Debbie Downers yesterday. What happened to having faith in Christ? Or that we have a prophet who leads and guides us, as God's voice? There is absolutely no reason to feel any less hopeful today, than yesterday because we still have a Savior that overcame the world so we can live again with our families forever. And thankfully we will always have that.

It makes me sick to think about what good we could have done with all money spent on this election in a "you suck. No, you suck more" agenda, especially when just days before many have been homeless due to costly natural disaster. Think of what our individual faith and the strength of our families would be if we had put all that energy for arguing towards being disciples of Christ, and serving our fellow man.

If there is a positive outcome to this election, I sincerely hope it's that everyone will be able to reassess their priorities and remember what is truly important, and eternal.

2 Nephi 31:20

Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ and a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward feasting upon the words of Christ, and endure to the end, Thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.


"Come, come ye saints, no toil or labor fear, but with joy wend your way. Though hard to you, this journey may appear, great shall be as your day. Tis better far for us to strive, our useless cares for us to drive. Do this and joy, your hearts will swell! All is well, all is well.

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard? Tis not so; all is right. Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now shun the fight. Gird up your loins, fresh courage take. Our God will NEVER us forsake. And soon we'll have this tale to tell; All is well, all is well."

All is still well, everyone. All is well.




5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, thank you so much for that! I completely agree and have been having a hard time myself with all the negativity. It will all be okay! If not, it's not entirely one person's fault. I honestly can't say that I care as much about it all as everyone else, but I do care about the hate and I want to teach my children better than that. So anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I hear ya!

Spencer and Anna said...

Well said, Amy.

Brian and Emily said...

I so appreciated this post. You articulated many of my feelings much better than I ever could and called me to repentance all at the same time. Thank you!

Carma said...

Well said, Amy. I agree completely. And because of Romney's courage to fun for president, just think of all those Americans who can no longer say, "I've never heard of Mormons."

Unknown said...

I agree. I too was shocked and amazed at some of the sentiments expressed in the wake of this election. And I was shocked by whom. You put my feelings into words wonderfully. Thanks for sharing! :)