A few weeks ago, I was asked to be part of a focus group discussing some strengths and weaknesses of the Texas education system. At the beginning, the moderator went around the table (there were 8 of us) asking us how we thought Texas schools ranked against the country, and then how the US ranked against the world in education. Everyone expressed that Texas schools were "lacking", "behind", didn't pay teachers enough to do a good job, and there was too much "teaching to the standardized tests". More complaining went on for the next portion of the question. Everyone said the US was "so behind" in math and science against other countries, and how other countries gave a more complete education than the US could offer.
Personally, my opinions different from the rest of the group on both questions, but it has been on my mind a lot since then. Is the US really all that "behind"? Would we be a better country with better citizens if we taught more math and science in school? Would we be more competitive in the global job market? I kept drumming these thoughts through my head, and went through everyday life with everyday interactions for the next few weeks and came to one conclusion:
Math and Science are the least of our country's problems.
What the US needs (desperately, I might add), are citizens who can communicate and who are emotionally mature. Really basic skills like learning how to resolve conflicts, "getting along", written communication (you know, like actually writing, like writing a compelling thought-out letter/statement/story/etc---not hashtags), empathy, encouragement, etc...these seem to be lost. Or citizens who possess these characteristics seem to be fewer and further between. Call me old, but man, remember when we used to call each other and say "Hey! I've been thinking about you and wanted to catch up! How are you doing?" or "Gosh, I'm so sorry. I hope I didn't offend you, could we talk about it?" or "I feel like we didn't understand each other in that last meeting, could you explain to me again why you feel x about z?" All of these acts would be infinitely better than hiding behind our sucky communication skills and lack of empathy, no? When was the last time someone apologized to you in person or over the phone (who wasn't your spouse, or someone you see really regularly)? When was the last time someone talked to you to find out how you're doing, and when they ask you know they'll dig down deep because they won't be satisfied if you just say "oh, we're good!"
These "people skills" are the basics of leadership. When I think of the US, I think of powerful leaders (moral, not usually, but smart and powerful, yes), but how can we really expect to have great leaders if we don't expect anyone to communicate anymore. Or write. Or speak. Or apologize. Or reconcile. Or encourage. Or uplift. Or be respectful to people who's opinions differ from your own. You know, when statements are made to an individual, not to an individual blanketed across twitter.
I've always said that if I teach one thing to my children, it will be to say "please" and "thank you" as often as humanly possible and to mean it when they say it. Don't you think that's at least a start in the right direction? I mean, don't you think relationships (family, friends, co workers, neighbors) would all benefit from a little more of the magic words?
A little more E.Q. America. Lets pull it together, folks.
My rant is over now.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Monday, September 29, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice! Agreed. When I look around I unfortunately see a lot of parents who are concerned about all the wrong things for their children or can't manage to set a very good example themselves.
Post a Comment