Saturday, September 6, 2014

Broken Bone V Card: Gone

We are no longer broken bone virgins at the McAllisters. Who knew the baby would have the first broken bone? Never would have guessed that one.

Matt fell down a few stairs on Wednesday. I knew it was a bad fall and he cried for a long time, but didn't give it much thought. I figured he bruised his muscle and gave him some Motrin and figured he'd be fine. I could tell his right leg was tender, but thought it would be normal to have a bad fall and be sore for a few days. On Friday (yesterday), I noticed that when he pulled himself up to stand, he only used one leg--the other stayed bent like a flamingo. I knew I needed to take him to get an x ray. I called around to urgent cares to find one that 1) had an x ray machine and 2) took babies. We found one, and went over at 9 am. By 11:45 we left with a splint and a confirmation of a broken tib and fib of the right leg. They gave me a referral for a pediatric orthopedic and upon calling them, they said they don't take babies under 1 and that the only orthopedics that would cast a baby are at Dell Children's and I'd have to take him through the ER.

Yuck. Who wants to do that???

I went home and ate lunch, dropped off Duke with a friend, and headed to Dell with Matt. He's not even really in pain, which makes this whole thing feel like such a hassle, even though I know it's necessary.

We get called back and they want to take new x rays (of course). Two hours later they confirm its a broken tib and fib (again), and say they will splint it. I am furious because its a two day old injury! Why can't they just cast it already?? Well, I guess the ER doesn't cast anything and you have to go to the cast clinic which is where the pediatric orthopedic people are that are the only people who will cast his
leg because he is so young and yada yada yada.

I'm getting so anxious to leave because I've had to stay in a prison cell exam room for over 2 hrs. Then the attending comes in and says that the type of fracture on Matt's leg is really uncommon for a baby and wants to do some more tests in case there weren't other injuries. Awesome. A few more hours! They placed a bag in his diaper to get a urine sample, drew blood (not as bad as I thought it would be), and x rayed his whole body (about 15 shots). Finally we could get home around 6 pm. It was so exhausting for both of us but I was also happy to have some one on one time with Matt for the day. So thankful for such great neighborhood friends that were all going out of their way to see how they could help. The boys were in great care until Cortney got off work.




The first splint at the urgent care. Matty fell asleep while they were putting it on.




Asleep on the way to Dell. Wake up buddy, we have 5 hrs at the hospital together!




In the waiting room at Dell. Gotta hand it to him...pretty happy and adorable, even with 2 broken bones.







After the second splint. His hand is wrapped in a diaper because they have him an IV to draw blood (so unnecessary, but whatever, it's over now).




Finally home in his own bed. Sweet boy.

We got home just in time for the BYU football bus to drive past our house to go to the fireside at the church across the street. I was happy that Cort and the boys were gone and I could just veg at home after such a long day. The YM in the ward tailgated after the fireside with ribs and brisket, respectively, and even got a few players to come to it! It was really fun.










I took all of these pictures from the boys' bedroom window.

Off to the BYU v Texas football game with our friends Lance and Katie! I love them and love whenever we have visitors, but especially such great friends.

No comments: