Every race they were in, I couldn't hold back a few tears from welling up in my eyes. I know of no better analogy of parenting than watching my five and seven year olds give every ounce of energy to swim across the pool.
They usually have butterflies before the race and I try to go over to their waiting area and give them a pep talk and encourage them with a bunch of "you already know what to do--you just have to do it!" and "you've been practicing so hard for this and you'll do awesome!"
When it comes time for them to step up on the blocks, they timidly climb up, put their goggles on and wait for the buzzer. It goes off and I cheer for them as loud as I possibly can. Most of their races are 25 meters (1 length of the pool) which can seem like a short distance, but for Duke's age group it can be a real struggle. Will they make it? And if they do, will they die from exhaustion after completion? The parenting allegory for me is found here. I can see them pushing themselves and struggling to do something that is so challenging, but all I can do is cheer for them from the side of the pool. If i jumped in to help them, they would never improve. I keep cheering loudly for them in hopes they will remember that I'll be with them the second they finish the race.
They finish the race and I wrap them up in a towel and squeeze them and tell them how great they did and how proud of them I am. It really is a special moment for both of us.

Will doing backstroke. He was the heat winner in a few relays and really excelled in butterfly (surprisingly).

Look at that proud smile! He's on top of the world after his race!

The last day when they got their medals. Duke progressed so much this year and he has a super powerful freestyle stroke. Really, it's sort of incredible for a five year old. I can't wait for next season. All sort of new challenges and triumphs await us.
No comments:
Post a Comment