Once we got to Cleveland, we went straight for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You could really spend all day in there if you wanted-there is so much to see. We were exhausted after a few hours and decided we were ready to get to our hotel and veg out for the night. One of the many benefits of graduatin
I've had a few people ask me about the football culture here, so I'll give you the run down. It's amazing. I consider myself an average sports fan, but the devotion everyone has for the buckeyes here is truly amazing. We live close to a mile away from the Horseshoe (football stadium) and the police shut down all of the streets within a 1 mile radius of the stadium on game day. That entire closed off area is filled to the brim with tailgaters. Every single person- little kids to old grandmas- are covered in red, every one of them wearing a necklace made of buckeyes. They tailgate all day before the game and all day after the game. All of them set up their tents and bring out their bbq's and they play games while they get ready for the game to start. Many of them even bring their satellite dishes and tv's to watch the other games going on that day. I went to the hospital for some IV's the day before a football game and there wasn't a single nurse in the whole hospital not wearing OSU scrubs (this hospital is not sponsored by OSU in any way, and I can only imagine what the actual OSU hospital is like). The horseshoe holds 105,000 people (LaVelle Edwards stadium holds 65,000) and its that many people cheering their guts out for their team. There is a long list of songs that are sung at every game by the fans, and you can even buy cds of all the songs at pretty much any store in and around Columbus. We miss the Cougs very much and our hearts belong to them, but Cortney and I both laugh when we think about the difference between 'game days' in Columbus and Provo. Its unfortunate that Bronco even had to come out and say, let alone start a marketing campaign for people to wear blue to the games. Even if you aren't a sportsfan, it's still an incredible sight to see so many people come together for one thing. OSU was ranked was undefeated and was ranked number 1 and all anyone could talk about out here was the National Championship. We listened to the end of the OSU v. Illinois game on the way home from Kirtland and were very very sad to see them lose when they were so close! But, being the social observers that we are, we're anxious to see how everyone reacts to it here in the next few days.
2 comments:
Gorgeous pics, guys! I'm jealous. It's good to hear you're getting in all the traveling/sightseeing you can while you're there. One request...bring some cheese when you come to visit. You got me hungry!
Sounds like a fun little trip that you guys had. It looks beautiful there. Eric and I will have to make a trip out. How far is Kirkland from you guys? I have never seen any of the Church sites, that would be fun to go and do.
Post a Comment