Thursday, July 30, 2009

The End of an Era

The most unfortunate thing about living next to a large university is you have to say goodbye to good friends each June. The "other" boy in my life, Aurick, moved to Worthington (not too far from us) but I don't get to babysit him anymore. Aurick is the first kid that I thoroughly enjoyed taking care of every day and it never felt like work. Here he is in mid-air jumping onto the couch, We must have taken 10 pictures trying to get this shot.
The last week I watched Aurick, I was taking down our curtains to pack them up for the move. When I explained to Aurick that I needed to use a screwdriver to take down the drapes, he exclaimed, "Oh, can I do that? I'm really good at screwing!" It still cracks me up. I miss him asking for fruit snacks and saying almost everything with a "G" sound. And as you can see, Will always loved playing with Aurick too. He was his first real friend, I think.
This is Matt Chadwell, fellow MBA and BYU fan. Crazy smart and always was a great dinner guest- he thought everything I made was amazing. Matt is back home in Omaha saving the world one job application at a time. We'll miss him come football season.
Here we have Uncle Chris and Will. Chris lived upstairs from us, until we switched apartments with him and then he lived below us. He used to come up just to see Will because it made him feel good to see Will smile. Chris gladly took many leftovers off our hands when we were sick of eating them. We will miss Chris very much. Chris is in D.C. saving the world one Asian girl at a time and applying to PhD programs in his spare time.
And finally the Diethers. Karl was a professor at Fisher, although Cortney never had a class from him. He was a huge BYU fan and was rich enough to pay for the sports package with the MTN so wee could all watch the games at his house. Kristi remains one of the coolest mom's I know and she's definitely someone I want to emulate because I know she teaches the Gospel to her girls. And the girls... Kiley, Elle, and Cordie. Great girls. And a great family. Karl accepted a position teaching the MBA core at Dartmouth and they are now in New Hampshire. We moved to their neighborhood and all the time I want to stop by their house to say hi and then I remember they moved. Sad. Can't wait to visit them in Hanover!

No comments: