Apples were on sale at HEB for $0.77/lb so I decided to bottle some applesauce today. Duke played Legos and playdoh while I peeled and sliced the apples and cooked them. In all, we bottled 8 pints and had about 1.5 pints left over to keep in the fridge. We used some extra applesauce to bake apple bread. Duke calls all quick breads, "yummy bread" and he devours them. Like a loaf in 1.5 days, devours them.
I feel a connection to my foremothers when I bottle fruit/jellys. My grandma Muirbrook especially. My
Mom talks about her memories of her mom canning fruits and veggies and I'm sure they did that out of financial necessity. I wish so badly I could grow something here in Texas, but I've heard it's so much more hassle than its worth. So, I guess I'll just look for the awesome sales and go from there. I guess when I think of bottled fruit, I think of having a simple life. Something about it makes me think of a life with a lot less "stuff" and things to get to. Do anyone relate to this at all? But then again, I can't even get myself to fold the laundry when a machine has already washed it for me. Or empty the dishwasher when I haven't had to wash a dish. I would have made a terrible 50s housewife.
Canning food takes zero talent. It's just time consuming. But, when you give someone a homemade jar of x, they act like you just split the atom. Like its a lost art form.
It was a really fun project. And I loved having a conversation with Duke the whole time (Matt was asleep), even though he didn't want to help me at all.
I used leftover carnitas from Sunday to add to a hash for dinner with red potatoes, onions, peppers, and topped it with over-easy eggs. It was so yummy and so easy AND cheap. My kind of meal. This will be added to the regular meal circuit.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment