Birthdays really don't matter as much the older you get. Today was rather boring as birthdays go, but it just didn't matter. We just got home from a trip last night, so today it was back to business as usual.
Our trip was to Columbus to go to Cort's 5 yr MBA reunion. It was lovely beyond words. Columbus is special, but the people there are even more so. Seeing all our old friends from school again was good for the soul. Those people are so incredible. I'm currently making a mental list for my boys of people who would gladly bail them out of jail if they ever needed it and a few people from OSU rise to the top very quickly (Chris Wayda, Megan Glenn, Jon Yoon, in addition to quite a few others). It's rare that you meet people so genuine, and who would literally do everything they could to help you. Those warm fuzzy feelings alone were enough to put the happy in my birthday.

TBDBITL in the background

Will and the Shoe. He loved being in football country.








I also got to spend time with Lauren and the boys got to play with Luke and Cam. Another major highlight. Our families will always be close. Always. The boys will always be friends. It's just really awesome that way.


But back to today...we got back into the groove, which included Cort leaving for a business trip to Washington. We had enough time to get lunch together before he left. The boys came with us and they were awful, but that's usually expected at restaurants, right?
Came home and we headed to the track. Will got a new OSU football and he was playing while I was talking around the track with Matty and Duke was climbing the bleachers. Three jr high boys came over and started playing, and then asked Will if they could play football with him. Of course he was ecstatic. They played with him for over an hr. They were so nice and complimentary and as a mother, you know how much it means to your kids when older kids notice them. I asked them for their mom's phone numbers and text them a note telling them how proud they should be of their boys. I hope my sons remember that and how that felt and when they are that age, that they reach out to the little kids too. It was a perfect gift to me on my birthday to have such a great reminder that there is so much good in the world.


I put the boys to bed. Made myself a bowl of steel cut oats for dinner, and headed upstairs to do my bible study homework. After I finished, I watched Nashville and enjoyed a quiet night at home.
I have such a blessed life. It's simple, yet chaotic, but it's filled with the best people on the planet, which makes it downright lovely.
Yay for 29, and getting older, and gaining wisdom, and just growing up.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment