Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring, Effacement, the Boss, and other random things




We are SOOOOO behind on our blogging and we apologise. Poor Cort has at least 8 encyclopedia size text books to read every word of this quarter, we both have jobs, oh and we're having a kid in 2 weeks. More than average amount of stress these days. So I'll try to catch you up on everything, but just a warning- it'll be long (yeah, it's been a long time since we chatted).


Lets start at Spring break. Cort and I went to the Big Ten basketball tournament in Indianapolis to watch the OSU v. Michigan State game. It was a spur of the moment decision and we bought our tickets from a scalper, but had a really good time. Indianapolis is a really cool basketball town. We were sitting next to a senior aged couple and they were talking to us about basketball like they were Cort's friends. It was awesome to see even the golden years can be filled with great sports moments.



After the game we were deciding what to do next- go back to Columbus, stay in Indy, or keep going to Chicago. While we were thinking about it, I decided that I really needed a banana split (no laughing, please) and while I was waiting in line for my delicious delicacy, Cort came over and said, "I have a surprise for you!" I think those words have only come of of Cort's mouth about 3 times since we have known each other, so naturally my ears perk up. "I got us a spa suite for the night!" Oh my heavens, I thought. I have the most thoughtful husband ever! Taking baths at night has become one of my favorite things throughout pregnancy, so this was a very thoughtful surprise. We went to the Marriott and filled up the jetted tub and I loved every minute of it. Later Cortney confessed that he really wanted to watch more basketball that night and was trying to think of a way to get me something that I would enjoy while he watched more of the tournament. So maybe that spa suite wasn't as romantic as I thought it was, but I still think I have the most thoughtful husband ever. I just love thinking about his thinking pattern while making that decision... "ok, how can I watch basketball tonight and Amy be happy at the same time?" Cortney told me when we got married that he didn't think our marriage wouldn't be very romantic, but he could guarantee that it would be a lot of fun and he's hasn't let me down for one day.

We woke up the next morning and made our way back to Columbus and decided to stop at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame. It was pretty cool and Cort paid homage to the Larry Bird exhibit. When we were leaving, one of the employees told us that the gym where they filmed "Hoosiers" was just about 15 minutes away. We jumped on that band wagon, as both Cort and I grew up on that movie (well, actually I grew up on it and Cort adolessed on it). It was totally worth the detour. It's like walking back into the movie. They'll let you shoot baskets and hang out in there and even go into the locker room. Of course, we reinacted the final scene where Jimmy Chitwood tells the coach he'll "make it" to score the winning point for the state basketball tournament that puts a tear in Cort's eye every time we watch it.

We went home and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the week of Spring Break and broke in the new quarter by going to a Bruce Springsteen concert so Cort could cross off another person on his "People to see in concert before I die" list and let me say, it was worth every penny. Every second of it was so full of energy, we loved it. Cortney and I didn't even know a majority of the songs that he played, but they played every song like it was their greatest hit ever. The concert was 2.5 hours long and it was almost like it was one continuous song- before they finished the last note of the song, Bruce shouted out "One, Two, Three, Four!" and the next song started. And there I was, 9 months pregnant screaming at the top of my lungs, with everyone else, the lyrics to "Born to Run" not even caring that by the time I got home my toes would be twice their normal size. We both highly recommend going to a Boss concert if you ever have the chance, even if you're not a fan, because it's such a good show.

The quarter started, Spring was starting to bloom, and I was in full bloom. These past 3 days have been the epitome of Spring. Blue skies, glorious sunshine, and green grass. One of the benefits of a midwestern Spring is everything is green so fast. Those first few days of Spring weather, everyone is just so happy! No more sweats and Uggs- bright colors come out and everyone just has a little more zeal in their step. I love it.

I am 2.5 weeks from my due date and I've taken on the persona of a ticking-time bomb. My innie became an outie long ago, my feet are consistently a shade of purple, and I spotted my first stretch mark yesterday, so not cool. Last Wednesday, the doctor said I was 50% effaced and dilated to a 1. But I'm starting to think that the average non-preggo woman is 50% effaced and dilated to a 1. So it pretty much means nothing, but my doc said he wouldn't let me go past April 30th, so we'll for sure have an April baby. Our next appointment is tomorrow and we'll see if anything changes. I've been walking 3+ miles a day for quite some time now, and Cort told me I'm not allowed to leave the house without a water bottle and my cell phone.

In the last of other random news, I almost passed out at the temple last week. I did a session while Cort was in class one night and without going into too much detail, temple workers had to bring me water not once, but twice, during the session and they had people waiting for me after it was over to give me more water. I knew I was fading fast because I just couldn't bear to leave early because that person had waited since 1875 and I didn't want her to think, "Oh great, I have to wait another 10 years!" or something similar that would definitely impose eternal guilt. Needless to say, they got their blessings, and I'm done with the temple until Junior is born.

2 comments:

Tamber said...

Temple visits and pregnancy(well, the 9th month of pregnancy) dont mix very well. I remember when I was pregnant with Emma I went to a live session in SLC and had to PEEE sooo bad from about 10 minutes into it. I wanted so bad to raise my hand and say " can we just take like a 5 minute break?". ..Needless to say, I made it through and booked it down the stairs to the bathroom and someone on the other side was happy that I made it.

Dan and Shauna said...

Missed you at church yesterday... you never told me about the Springsteen concert! That's awesome!