Friday, June 20, 2008

My Body is a Temple

All of you former Young Women out there can remember that about 70% of all YW lessons we on getting married in the temple (I think they figured repetition was key), 20% were on not getting double piercings and tattoos, and the last 10% were the random 'be nice to your parents' and 'be honest' lessons. Going back to the second category, did any of your young women leaders relate tattoos and piercings as graffiti on the temple? Mine sure did! And now that I'm thinking about it, why were all YW lessons guilt driven? Anyway, I digress. Now after being 'great with child' and bearing that 8 lb. blessing, I'm starting to reflect on those 'My body is a Temple' lessons. I was really never interested in getting a tattoo, and it took be about 8 years to convince my parents to let me get my ears pierced, so I concluded on my own that 2 was out of the question. I've always tried to get physically fit, I enjoy running, eating healthy most of the time (except for my moments of weakness when I'm around brownies), so yes, I can conclude that I've tried to take pretty good care of myself. However, my perspective has now been thrown off a little bit.

Back to 'great with child'... unfortunately after nights and nights of covering my belly with baby oil, those pesky stretch marks started appearing just 2 weeks before Will was born. By the time he made his debut, I had a road map on my stomach. Not to mention the handful of extra skin I can now hold onto, which makes me absolutely cringe, and my once toned muscles that have taken on a more jello-like appearance, I think I can make a case (and I know there are a few out there who will agree with me from similar experiences) my body has been defiled by pregnancy!!! Those stretch marks aren't fading anytime soon either, honey. At least a tattoo would have been a cool scar! Yes, I know they will fade in time and yes, if I work really hard, my muscles will come back, and yes, my skin could go back to normal stretchiness, but all mothers out there can agree, their bodies have changed forever. Yes, it was totally worth it and I would do it all over again in a second, but it also makes me a lot more motivated to be even more healthy and all the more appreciative of the Resurrection:)

No comments: