I am posting this about this for 2 reasons... 1) to vent 2) to ask for advice. We have a strict budget of $300 a month for groceries for our family. A few months ago, that was more than enough to give us plenty of healthy meals, but those days have since past. Last month that money only lasted 2.75 weeks!
Here's the venting part... I don't buy ANY convenience foods. I only buy when meat when its on a good sale and stock up. I don't buy any snack foods except for granola bars and fruit snacks. I only buy the fruits and veggies that are on sale. I clip coupons like every week, plan my meals out for the week by what's on sale and what I have a coupon for. This money is not used for toilet paper, saran wrap, or any other cleaning products- just pure food. One would think that with all of this homework I could easily feed my family for the amount said.
And now here for advice... am I doing anything wrong? How much does your family spend on groceries a month? Am I being unrealistic or are there other things I could be doing? And before you say online coupons, and grocery store coupons, I already have those covered too. I guess I'm such a deal hunter at heart that it's so annoying that I can't seem to find as good of deals as I used to. So please, help, or vent. Either one is fine.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We do a lot of shopping at Dollar General. Believe it or not, they carry groceries. However, things like milk and stuff are more expensive. Ours carries things like cereal, box dinners, baking supplies, canned goods, dry goods. We can walk out of there with like 4 full bags and have only spent 20 dollars.
I have noticed that there are not as many good deals cutting coupons like there were even 6 months ago. I have been spending about $450 a month of food, and that doesn't include about $100 of eating our for Eric. Crazy I know. I think I am on the high end though.
We spend about $200 a month for groceries but that's probably because we have the fabulous Win-co where food is super cheap and I don't buy meat.
I like to some of my grocery shopping at Walmart because they price match EVERYTHING. I go through all the food ads that come in the mail and my coupons. I found a sale at a different store for cearal at 1.88 a box, I also had a coupon for 1.00off which made each box about .88 each! I go through the weekly ads and take them in to walmart to price match and I also clip coupons as much as possible. I even get some of my groceries at BigLots. Check expiration dates first, but their baby food is about .25 each! That is when I stock up!
We budget $400 for food....I do the coupon thing too and go to Walmart to price match etc. Sometimes what seems like a good deal in a store, like albertsons does the 10 for $10 thing, but then you go to walmart and the item is only 88 cents normally. I think they are the cheapest, and when they arent, they match where they need to. I also buy huge things (20lbs I think) of hamburger at Costco, divide it into 1 lb bags and freeze it. It's like $2.10/lb there....Walmart can't beat that. My only complaint is that it's not the super lean (97/3) meat, it's like 90/10...Good luck. I think everyone thinks being on a budget is hard!
Post a Comment