Thursday, February 12, 2009

My First Book Club EVER

There are a few ladies in my ward that started a book club 3 months ago and I was finally able to go to one this week! I didn't go months previous because of lack of reading the approved literature, and horrible timing with file deadlines. This month's book was Austenland by Shannon Hale and I really enjoyed it. It was the epitome of a chick flick book, easy to get into, not very long, and makes you feel good all the way through.

Fast forward to Book Club night.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't know if this was "one of those clubs" where the book title was a reason to get together and chit chat, or if they actually talked about the book. I came in a little late, so maybe there was some chit chat, but I walked in during some deep discussion of this book, that I hadn't previously considered to be very deep- it really was just a fun and happy chick flick! It's a story that is kind of a take off on Pride and Prejudice, just so you have some background. Some discussions were as follows (my thoughts in italics [*these comments are only to prove how lame I felt at this event as well as let all those who were in attendance how much more awesome they are at reading than me).

"I really feel that when the main character starts painting is when she really comes to grips with herself" Oh, um I just thought it was cool that she knew how to paint.

"It was very interesting how she inter weaved the character with the likes of Elizabeth Bennett, however their motives were so different" Never read an Austen book. Certainly, I'm headed for outer darkness.

"When she started painting, I really felt as though she was finally accepting herself and realizing what she truly wanted in life" Again, just thought it was cool that she painted. And, um, just thought it was a fun story.

"What do you think the Aunt truly wanted for her great-niece?" Um, I'm not even sure if the author thought about these questions while she was writing the book. Am I the most unanalytical person on the face off the earth?

"After reading such a great period piece, I really feel like I need some Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite" Also never read Dickens and couldn't even tell you what A Tale of Two Cities is about except for that it was the best of times and the worst of times. Don't worry, I'll give you visiting rights so you can come see me in outer darkness.

Then they started rattling off book suggestions for the next meeting, authors I had never even heard of, nor knew what century they lived in, or their literary "background". And all of them just chimed in on how much they loved each name, like they were a dear old friend! How could I be so unread!? Why wasn't I reading after school instead of watching Saved By The Bell re-runs?

After much discussion, they settled on The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis- excited and relieved that I only have to conquer 300 pages of modern literature and not 1000 pages of Victorian vernacular:) I raced home to tell Cort how much fun I had and that I am really excited to go next month- and hopefully one day be able hold my own in book club.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Amy, I've only ever gone to one book club meeting too. I'm intrigued by this book and may just check it out at the Library. Also, you should maybe read P&P...I read it for the first time over Christmas break (and was REALLY skeptical of how much I would like it). Surprisingly, I totally loved the book. Like how other people I sometimes would scoff at love the book. And I'm a big-time scoffer. It's so much better than any of the movies, though the movies help with the plot. At least for me.

Lauren said...

So funny! That's why I don't join book clubs. However I have been reading more lately. I recommend, "The Alchemist". It is the first book that I've read for the first time (as opposed to a re-read) in years. Really liked it.

fagergrenfam said...

Amy, You make me laugh. I thought I was the only one who watched saved by the bell instead of reading. Don't worry hon... not only do I have visiting rights in outer darkness I own a vacation home there, and visit frequently. I just choose not to go to events like that anymore because I know I am stupid. I don't have to try to prove it anymore. I am so glad that you are going so I have a list of new book recommendations. Before next time just google the book and read various reviews, then you can go in and sound like you are a literary critic. Thats probably what they did.

Erica said...

i just started a book club as well! well, not me starting it...but being in it. i haven't cracked the book open yet, but that's on my list of
things to do tomorrow!!