Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tribute to Frank Tran





Earlier this week, Amy and I got some bad news. On Monday night, just before bedtime, we heard an army of emergency vehicles fly by our complex, which isn't unusual considering we live on one of the busiest intersections near campus. The next day we learned that a local business owner, Frank Tran, was helping someone push their car up the street, and was hit by another car and killed.

Frank wasn't a friend, and neither of us have ever met him. He is the owner of this amazing Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese noodle house up the road from where we live called Pho Asian Noodle House and Grill. This place has only been open for a few months, and it is special. It was built inside an old Taco Bell...one of the old school Taco Bells that looks like The Alamo. The service is spectacular: call ahead and hit the drive through to get your order.

And the food...oh the food. Let's just say that since returning from Taiwan in 1997, I am on a constant journey to find real Chinese fried rice. Before Pho's, the best I've had in the states was a little joint in Seattle's Chinatown. When Amy and I first ordered fried rice from Pho's, I was amazed; real fried rice, for less than 6 bucks, big enough to be eaten twice, and 100% authentic. All in less than a mile from where I live. And all their food is amazing, large portions and most dishes for under $7.

When we found out that the owner was killed so tragically, we were crushed. Not just because we're kind of worried that the place might close down (although I'm sure Frank would want his legacy to carry on), but because this place has the intimate feel similar to Cheers. We had envisioned getting to know everyone there by name, the staff would remember our favorite dishes, would come out and see how Will was liking his first hit of green curry, and all that. If the place stays open, we will definitely return to offer our condolences and continue exploring the menu. But in a way we kinda feel cheated that we never got to meet Mr. Tran.

Rest in peace Frank, thanks for the memories.

No comments: