
I'm not sure why this picture isn't flipped, because I've flipped it twice. Oh well. This is the main cathedral in Mazatlan. When we got off the ship, we really had no idea what to do in Mazatlan. We heard there were cliff divers and "Old Mazatlan", so we took a taxi over to the cliff divers and figured we could walk to Old Town from there because they looked pretty close on the map. We were at the cliff diving lookout point for probably 5 minutes. We were bombarded by street peddlers and it made me just want to run away because I was constantly yelling "No, I don't want to buy anything!" every 5 seconds. So we walked into Old Town and in the middle of the square is this cathedral.

It is very pretty and ornate, and just our luck, Mass was going on while we were stopping by, so we sat in one off the back rows to take a break and culturally enrich our vacation. Cortney and I were both silently giving ourselves pats on the back for taking the time to experience another religion while on vacation, thinking that we were way too good for touristy stuff. After sitting in the back row for a few minutes, a lady a few rows in front of us stood up and opened up a new view of the front of the cathedral, to which we saw a casket and realized we were actually attending a funeral. Yeah, true story. So not only did we attend Mass, we attended Mass in a different language, and we attended a funeral Mass. Awesome. We walked outside and passed the hearse on our way out. Classic. This would only happen to us.

Here's a better picture from the outside. After our religious escapades, we headed to another part of Mazatlan, and then quickly turned around being thoroughly unimpressed and headed back to the ship to read on the deck. We both decided sunbathing was much better than walking around Mazatlan.
2 comments:
Okay, that's funny. A funeral? Nice. I hope you are doing well and the pregnancy is going okay! Can't wait to see your new little cutie!
I'm willing to be bored in Mazatlan. Anyplace that is THAT fun to say, well...I'm totally there.
Post a Comment