I was outside playing with Will and our 6 year-old next door neighbor, Phillip, the other night and I asked Phillip what he had for dinner. He responded,
"a chicken patty and smiles."
Now, before we try to dissect this statement, I'll tell you that Cortney and I frequently discuss Will's eating habits and how we can make them better, or debating if we should be worried about his diet or not. My take is, we don't really give him any processed food except for an Eggo waffle for breakfast every now and again and the occasional run to McDonald's for chicken nuggets about twice a month. We aren't health nazi's by any stretch of the imagination, but we just try to eat whole foods as much as possible. So maybe he doesn't eat a ton, or any vegetables, but he's still eating good food (cheese, yogurt, fruit, turkey, etc.). Cortney worries about everything that he doesn't get and worries that he doesn't eat enough. But I would, however, like to point out that Will has risen from the 5th percentile to the 15th percentile in weight in the last 6 months. Let's hear it for the heavyweight!
Now back to the statement above... What in the name of all things good and holy are smiles?! How would you eat a smile? Are they imaginary and you get a lot of them on your plate when you are happy to eat your chicken patty? Or are they an actual food item? And if the latter is the case, I don't think I know of anything that grows in smiles. So the question remains of what food item is it and how do they morph it into a smile?
*I have been educated that smiles are some sort of potato cake formed into a face with a smile. If case any of you were wondering.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment