Last night was definitely one to remember. Cortney and I went to a Pearl Jam concert at Nationwide Arena. We love going to concerts and we have a "concert budget" each year so we always make sure to have the funds to go to a good show once a year. And when PJ is touring, they automatically get our budget for the year. If any of you are keeping track, when I was equally preggo with Will we saw the Boss, Bruce Springsteen, and haven't ever come close to regretting paying $100 a ticket for that show.
While we were waiting for the main event last night, we were sitting in our seats listening to the opening band, Band of Horses, and they played this song, and I was overcome. Cortney leaned over and whispered that this song always made him think of our friend Henry, as he first heard this song the week Henry passed away. I'm not really sure what it was that put me over the edge, but I just had an overwhelming confirmation of what a blessed life I have. Yes, there are ups and downs, some more dramatic than others, but overall I really can't say anything about my life except than that I have been so blessed. And I attribute most of that to the greatest blessing of all, to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My faith in Jesus Christ has made everything possible, and everything bearable, and everything joyful-the pleasure and the pain. I often think of the scripture, "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" and I know this is so true. Yes, the road may be hard, but my load will always be light in comparison because of the Savior. No trial in my life can ever overshadow the feelings of joy and gratitude I have for the wonderful things that have happened in my life because of those same trials.
This last week, I feel for the first time that I know who Duke is. He has such a fun-loving, beautiful spirit. And I already know he'll have a great smile, just like his Dad and brother. This pregnancy has been so long, and rough, but I feel so lucky to be able to have children, no matter how hard it is. It really is such a blessing! I am so anxious to have Duke with us all the time. And while my life is nothing how I thought it would be 10 years ago, I don't think I could imagine anything better now. I have these 2 precious little boys, who have blessed my life in so many ways and no matter what, I will always have them. For eternity. I have such a sweet feeling of contentment. I don't feel like I could want for anything because I have what I've always wanted: happiness.
Cortney, Will, and Duke- No one's ever going to love you more than I do.
*And the rest of the concert was awesome. In spite of the fact that my toes looked like Vienna sausages at the end of the night, it was so much fun. Eddie said the first time they played in Columbus, was in 1992 and they played at Newport which was where we saw The Smashing Pumpkins last year. And they played one of "our songs" Hail, Hail. And that will always make me smile, because I am the lucky one he's talking about.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I absolutely love that you blogged about feeling the spirit with music. (No, really... I'm being completely serious, here.) I am a firm believer that the Lord speaks to us in very personal ways... and what's more personal than Rock n' Roll?
Wow, a spiritual moment at a Pearl Jam concert...I never would have guessed. i'm excited to hear the song.
We're excited to meet Duke too...wish I could provide a buddy for him, but I bet William will be his bestie.
Post a Comment