Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Good (aka Poor) Life

Seeing as how we are on the downhill of being in school, Cortney and I tend to talk a lot about 'when we're out of school'. Those conversations tend to consist of things that we're going to do, things we're going to buy, etc. So while I'm talking about it, these are some of the things we have discussed.

1. Go to Taiwan
2. Buy a house
3. Get a dog (we aren't allowed to have them here)
4. Buy furniture that we don't have to put together AND is made out of real wood
5. Get a BBQ (we had an awesome bbq, but we had to give it away when we moved because we aren't allowed to have them in our complex)
6. Grow a garden

But as much as we look forward to our 'post school' lives, I think I'm going to miss our poor students lives just as much. We live right next to this awesome park that I walk around almost daily and could be mistaken for the Field of Dreams because of the meticulously manicured softball fields, across the street from the gym, and not only the location, but our lives are just so simple. As much as I'm looking forward to having money to buy the things noted above, I really love being poor. That's probably one of the craziest things ever written, but I really love the simplicity of everything when you don't have any money. I love that we wait for movies to come out on DVD because we can check them out of the awesome Arlington library for free, and that I'm constantly clipping coupons because its sort of a game of how cheap I can buy everything. I feel like I really only have to worry about 2 things now- taking care of Will and taking care of Cort. And not that those priorities will change, but rest assured other things will get jumbled in. For any of you out there thinking of dropping everything and going back to school, don't worry and just do it. Your family will never be happier and no matter how stressful it gets, you'll always look back with more fond memories of 'remember how we ate mac and cheese 3 nights in a row until our next loan came in?' than the regretful 'we didn't see a movie in the theaters for 9 months'. I've never felt more rich in my entire life.

3 comments:

Dan and Shauna said...

So good for me to hear- especially today... I bought a new quilt for a great deal for what will be "James' new room," and Dan told me I would probably have to take it back. Sigh.

katie said...

So true!! I loved not having "stuff" to take care of except my boys. Now it seems like I take care of stuff and no time for the boys. Can't wait to see you in the great pacific northwest!!!

Andrew and Lauren said...

Nice post, but I am leaving a message here because I don't know your email.

here is that video about New Mexico 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_OtsV5cvuk