Sunday, August 3, 2008

...lesson learned.

Our ward held a 5k yesterday as a fundraiser for the youth and I learned a few things that I would like to share with all of you so you won't have to experience the same thing I did.

#1. Rest the day before the race. I consider myself a fair runner, so I thought I should run a 5k the day before 'just to make sure I could do it'. Had I not boosted my ego, I would have had a better chance of not having a side cramp that felt like someone stabbed me for 7/8 of the race.

#2. Eat pasta the night before. "carb load". This picture below constitutes what we ate the night before. Our good friends, the Staceys, had coupons for Ted Montana's Grill (owned by Ted Turner, actually) and not really knowing what kind of food they had, but heard great reviews decided we would give it a try. 3/4 of the menu consisted of burgers. Bison (buffalo) burgers to be exact. Feeling our mouths salivate, we decided bison was the next best thing to carb loading. Boy, were we wrong. Although I loved that juicy burger that night, I woke up the next morning not exactly feeling light and fancy free, if you get my drift. You can probably avoid waddling 3.1 miles if you don't eat about 3/4 lb. of bison the night before.


Pre race. Trying to look chipper, but knowing the next 30 minutes are going to be sheer hell.
And after the race. Note, this is a good 15 minutes after the race was over and we still look dog tired. Had we had the energy to take the picture right after, you would have seen me holding my side cramp (like that really helps) and bending over in pain and Cortney gasping for air.

Oh well, lesson learned. Good thing we could make the 'its just a fun charity race' excuses for our pitiful display of athleticism.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

Kudos to you guys for running that far. I don't think I could run 1/2 a mile. I could walk, or ride a bike. Way to go, you two!
And the little one farting in RS cracked me up. Takes after his grandpa! Ha Ha

Dan and Shauna said...

Woo hoo! You finished.. that's all that matters!

Andrew and Lauren said...

Oh how you fail to paint the picture that I saw. There was little gasping for air my friend. Just a woman, who just barely had a baby, leaving a trail of dust behind her while finishing a 5K in record time. I was an eyewitness!