There is the most perfect old man in our ward named Ralph. He works at the temple frequently, so I see him usually every time I go and he always smiles and says hi to me. A few months after we moved into the ward, Ralph's wife passed away suddenly of a heart attack. I never knew his wife, Mary Kay, but I can only imagine them as the perfect old couple.
Today, the closing song of Sacrament meeting was "God Be With You Till We Meet Again". This song is always a tiny emotional for me, because it frequently reminds me of loved ones who have passed away, since this is often a song sung at funerals. Ralph's deep voice bellowed all throughout the hymn, until the last verse when he burst into tears and openly wept. And this is where I just lost it and started sobbing too.
He pulled out a small photo album out of his bag which had the title, "Memories of Mary Kay" and started looking through the well worn pictures. After the meeting was over, I leaned over and told Ralph that he couldn't start crying during that song because I would start crying too and he replied, "I just miss my wife so much" and then we both started crying all over again.
What a sweet example of true love! I will always remember him and today, and how much he missed his wife.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ahhh that's so sweet! I am amazed at people who live with/married for 30 40 50 years and can't imagnie what thats like to know someone so well, the good, the bad the ugly... and then to learn to live without them.... ugh.... pulls at your heart! What a wonderful story, sad, but it's like that movie the notebook.... I just hope Theo will read to me everyday!
Well, the older I get the more I realize that the crying done at funerals is for the living. We mourn for ourselves...we know exactly where our loved ones are and who they're with. That's why we live the way we do, for that peace of mind. Ralph will be with her soon.
Post a Comment