Monday, March 29, 2010

Will and Marcus: Partners in Pain

This picture was taken in August 2008. Was this really the last time we were in Utah? It doesn't seem like it has been this long since we were there.

Will and Marcus are 7 months apart and although they've essentially never spent any time together, I'm pretty sure they are carbon copies of each other. They look alot a like and they both seem to have the same 110% boy personalities. Last week, Will woke up with a nasty cold and he had 2 rough nights in a row, which is always a red flag since he's such an awesome sleeper. So we took him to the Dr, which I'm always a little hesitant to do because I'm afraid for the Dr. to tell me everything is fine and give me the "she's first-time parent" look. What was different this time was that they weren't able to look at Will's ears because there was too much wax blocking them, so they had to flush them out. If you know the process for this, great. If you don't, just imagine me (big belly and all) laying on top of Will holding him still and a Dr. with a weird squirt gun shooting water and vinegar in Will's ear while he screams, kicks, and spits for 10 minutes. It was pretty bad. And when it was all over, Will whimpered like I've never heard before. During the whole thing, she kept saying, "wow, he's really strong". Um... yeah, he is. Funny thing was the Dr kept complimenting me on how well I took the procedure. I guess alot of parents can't stand to watch their kids get their ears flushed out. I just laughed and told them that restraining Will was part of my everyday life. Finally they were able to look into his ears and found a double ear infection and with that we were headed to the pharmacy. Luckily Will has always responded quickly to antibiotics and has been acting normal ever since.

Marcus, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky last week. He had a nasty fever for a week and was finally sent to Primary Children's to see what the deal was. They started treating him for Kawasaki's Disease and, thankfully, he's been doing great with the treatment. But I can't help but think about how horrible it was for him to have an IV, only because I know Will would have a HUGE problem with getting an IV and keeping it in. However, I think IVs have become a central force in my universe through my 2 pregnancies and I can't even begin to describe how awesome you feel when you get those fluids, so I can only imagine that Marcus is feeling pretty on top of the world right about now after 2 days of IV fluids and all the miracle drugs he's getting in that thing.

2 boys. 2 infections. Let's hear it for modern medicine! Get well soon Marcus. Hopefully this infectious duo won't be striking again soon.

1 comment:

Tamber said...

I cannot believe how chubby Marcus' face is in this pic. He has really thinned out since then.