1. Financial Independence. Recently, I've been getting very discouraged with our finances in the sense that I feel like we're working so hard and realizing that it will pretty much take our entire lifetime to achieve some of our financial goals. When we were in school, I used to think about how nice it would be when we were finished and had a job. And by the mere definition of having a job, meant we would be getting a paycheck, which really meant that money would be raining from heaven- or so I thought. After having practically no income for 2 years, it seemed like having any kind of job and income would be too much money for us to handle! Boy, was I wrong. Although we have a job and we were so blessed to be able to purchase our first home, we also started paying back our student loans, and well, that hasn't left any room for error. Some days it is so frustrating to feel like I'm still playing the need vs. want game on what normal people consider vital items. But I had a good realization the other day-we might not have a lot, but we have the satisfaction of knowing that we've done it all ourselves. No handouts. And that's saying a lot for a couple who survived graduate school during a high risk pregnancy, having a baby, having one part-time job which made $3000/year, and not needing to take out more than the minimum government loans. Although there's really no way to judge this, I'm hoping that when the day finally comes that we've paid off all of our student debt, the victory will be so much more satisfying because we did it on our own.
2. Hand-me-downs. Thank you to everyone who has given us clothes for Will. Cortney and I have a strict "don't buy clothes for Will" policy because it seems like almost every time we do, a week later someone gives us a massive bag of clothes. And I am kind of against buying clothes (except for shoes, pjs, socks, and thrift store items) for Will anyway, because it seems like they're trashed within the first week anyway. Because of all of your generous donations, I have successfully not had to buy Will any clothes for the better part of a year. I just got out all of his summer clothes and Cortney and I were both astounded as to how many clothes Will had. Thanks again.
3. Cortney works only 6 miles from home. There are a few things that we really don't like about Cortney's job (however, that list is getting smaller, thankfully), but one of the things we love is that he works so close to home. It is so convenient to stop by and see him for a minute when we're out running errands and Will is going crazy. Almost every week, Will and I stop at Graeters to get a scoop of ice cream and then head to Cortney's work and all 3 of us share it. that is always my favorite part of the week. Today I had to take Will to the Dr (he had an ear infection) and after we got out, we headed to the grocery store to get his prescription and Cortney met us there so he could chase Will around the store so I could sit down. And earlier this week, it was another rough, rough day (I'll post about this later) and Cortney called at 3:30 and said it was a slow day so he was just going to come home and be with us. It's so nice to know that if anything happened, he's just right there. I know the day will come when Cortney has another job, or we move and he won't work that close to home ever again, so for now we're enjoying every minute of it.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment