Some of you know now that I've been suffering from a terrible parasite for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, this parasite will be around for another 33 weeks. Monday night, I dropped Will off at a friends (thanks Carie) so I could go to the ER to get some fluids because I hadn't stopped dry heaving for 30 min. Luckily I got in pretty fast and was hooked up to fluids right away. 3 Liters, 2 potassium (horse size tranquilizers) tablets, 2 doses of zofran and a cup of ice chips later, I was driving home feeling depressed, to say the least. I'm only 7 weeks along and I already feel this horrible? I felt horrible that I couldn't take care of Will and I knew he was getting frustrated that I never got off the couch or took him outside. And I couldn't help but think that the odds were that I would feel this way for at least 12 more weeks.
The next day, I tried to rest, but I really just couldn't stop thinking about the hard road ahead. Not being able to take care of your family and feeling crazy sick yourself is not a good combo for self esteem. So, I prayed. I just prayed that somehow we would get through this. And I sent out a mass text message asking for prayers hoping that if we strung all the prayers out together, that would be enough for us to make it to the end.
Today I went to the Dr. and she prescribed for me a Zofran pump. This (I think) is like a diabetic insulin pump, but with Zofran. I was supposed to have one when I was pregnant with Will, but we weren't eligible because we were on Medicaid. Its really expensive, I mean really expensive. For some kind of reference, Zofran is $40/pill, so you can imagine what it would be for this kind of service. But this service sounds magical. You have all the Zofran you want and don't have to swallow it. You have nurses calling and coming to your house to check up on you to make sure you don't have key tones in your urine, or losing any more weight (I've already lost 10). I know I really need this service, but I knew we wouldn't be able to afford it.
The Zofran pump company called me today to get my information and called me back telling me what my part of the payment would be. We have awesome insurance because Cort works for the gov't, but I was still responsible for 20% of this service. $90.27. A day? I asked. Yep, that was the 20% portion that I would be paying each day. My stomach sank. I knew that wouldn't be possible for our finances, as much as I wanted and needed that zofran pump. She asked if I had any financial concerns about the service and I explained that I knew I really needed it, but it would be very hard on my family to have to pay that. She said she'd talk to her supervisor and call me back. I wasn't expecting very much to happen, but she called back and said she had talked to her director and they would only charge what my insurance paid for and they'd "call it good". My eyes filled with tears. And that doesn't really happen to me, but it did. I thanked her over and over and she assured me she was happy to do it.
So tomorrow, I should have a snazzy zofran pump connected to me and hopefully I will be feeling much better soon, but I'd settle for just wanting to eat. Thank you everyone for your prayers in our behalf, they have been answered! I still have tears in my eyes. This is such a blessing to us. This has given me the hope to feel like I can go on for the next 7 months!
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Congrats on all accounts. I got a Zofran prescription today. I can't imagine feeling like you do. You're a saint
What? Congratulations!
Congrats, you guys!! I hope it helps.
That is awesome that you got the pump. I hope it makes your life a lot easier this pregnancy.
Yeah! That is so great! The baby and the pump...Keep me posted on how you feel. We miss you and Will!
Whoa! Number 2!!!??? Yay!!! I hope and pray that the pump will make you feel good! Love you!
Don't you LOVE drug companies. I'm glad this worked out for you. I hope the Zofran works like a charm. Seriously. You deserve it and Will and Cort deserve it. Here's to Zofran!
Hooray and congratulations to all three of you!!! I love that we get to be pregnant together, it makes it that much more exciting! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your pump, I don't know how you could do it without it.
Congrats! This is awesome news! When are you due? I'm just wondering if you are due about when I am. May?
I'm so sorry that you feel so crappy though. That sucks. I hope you get feeling better soon.
This made my heart swell...and it will make your belly swell. How heart warming. I love it when prayers come together like this for baby and mommy and families...this makes your baby OUR baby, in some small way....I'll keep you on the temple prayer roll when I go.
Best of luck and many blessings to you and yours, honey. You are greatly loved...
WOW. WOW. WOW. It's not every day you get a $20,000 coupon, Ames. What a blessing - loved your post - made me humble just thinking about how much Heavenly Father loves us. . and YOU! WOW.
I smiled at my mom's comment because I put you on the prayer roll, too, every time I go. Love you! I really hope this works. . . really, really, really hope this works.
Post a Comment