Going to Cathie's wedding was the perfect way to start our anniversary celebrations. Cortney and I were both a tiny choked up during the ceremony (how lame!) and we were both talking later about how great it was to see a wedding again and remember how committed we are to our marriage.
I love so many thing about our marriage, but most recently, I love that we have different opinions. Cortney and I both make a big effort to stay in touch with the world around us by reading the newspaper and other periodicals. And I really love that we don't agree on everything. I think I tend to be a little more liberal than him in most areas, but there are a few where I'm much more conservative. But there has never been once where I even felt any discussion related to these topics was heated, nor did I care that we didn't agree. Without sounding too politically correct, I think its really cool that we respect each other's opinions.
I think we've also realized recently that we both will have to fight for our family, and we are both committed to do just that. A good fight is required to have a strong, stable, loving family--there are just too many things out there to get in the way of that goal. There have been many occasions where I have prayed about specific issues related to our family, and things that would take one or both of us away from our family, even if just for a day or two, and every single time
the answer I get is overwhelming that we need to be together as a family as much as humanly possible, or that I need to do everything I can to protect our family even when it is a very unpopular decision.
the answer I get is overwhelming that we need to be together as a family as much as humanly possible, or that I need to do everything I can to protect our family even when it is a very unpopular decision.
Both of those being said, I think we make a great team because we're both individuals working towards a common goal. It would be way too boring if we both were exactly the same type of person. He's good at some things and I'm good at others. Kind of like the widget maker and widget seller--much more successful together, than each of us trying to make AND sell the widgets.
There is a line in Fiddler on the Roof where Tevye says something to the effect of "Look at everything I've done with you. Isn't that love?" And I think that's what love really is. I think you look back and see how many times you were in the trenches together, all the struggles, all the successes, and all of those little things add up to a beautiful life together. I like to think in the last 3 years we've just written the prologue. It's a pretty good read.
3 comments:
I love this.
And I love Cort's "Blue Steele" look.
Somethings never change.
I mean, some things... Dumb.
I love the picture of us! VERY CUTE! and the last paragraph, the fiddler on the roof.... I may have to steal that... it sums it all up just PERFECT!!! Luv ya!
Post a Comment