Monday, February 15, 2010

Locked Out

A few weeks ago we got locked out of our house. It was raining and Will was playing in the garage with his "outside" toys and both Cortney and I were with him and closed the door to the house behind us. Problem is with that door, it locks automatically when you close it. And you might be thinking why don't you open the garage and open up the front door? Well, the problem with that solution was that our storm doors were locked because Will can open them from inside if we don't and we don't have keys for those doors. Been on my to-do list for a while.

Did I mention it was pouring rain out? It was. So we thought we'd break in through an open window. We found one and took out the screen, and lifted up the window and it stopped after 2 inches. The previous owner of our house paid a lot of money for expensive windows with child locks preventing kids from being able to open the window without an adult. Good idea, but that wasn't helping our situation any. We've been trying to find a way in our house for a half hour now and we're getting pretty wet. Will is loving life, but he's soaked and its cold outside.

We have a limited number of tools and the tools that we do have are in the basement, so we were limited to a small gardening spade. Like that's going to do anything! Will is very wet and I realize I can put him in the car because I can unlock it from the keypad on the door. We're both cold and wet and frustrated and I ask Cortney if he has a credit card. No, not unless you have one in the car. I know I don't have a credit card in the car, but I go and look anyway and I find a CVS savings card. I come over to the door knob, slide it in and the door is open. Cortney's face is priceless. Something between why didn't you do this an hour ago and how do you know how to break into a house? And I just start laughing that we've been trying to break into our house for an hour and all I had to do was slide a credit card in between the door! Cortney screams, "where did you learn how to do that!?"

My freshman year of college, I lived in an apartment complex called Belmont. Ironically, Belmont is one of the nicest, most expensive places to live in Provo, but our lock never worked and it was easier to open it with a credit card. Little did I know I had such skills! But I'll reserve my burglary skills to just help people get in their house when they get locked out.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

ha ha Amy I love it!!! That's pretty funny.

Tamber said...

I love that trick. I learned it in College too. We got locked out in the snow last year. We tried the credit card thing and our lock would not budge. I have done it on our neighbors doors a million times to help them, but of coarse It wouldnt work on ours. So...Eric's soulution?!? Use a crowbar to bend the door and the frame. I think it would have been cheaper to pay the $150 for the locksmith. DUh!

The Katzbox said...

Elijah had to break into our apt the other day. He had to climb up to the balcony to do it. He politely explained to our neighbors below us that he was going to be shimmying up the side of their apt to break into ours. Nicest thief ever....