This comes from a very credible source, so I'm pretty sure it's not just Mormon folklore! And if it is, I still like it and think it has some merit.
Elder Dallin Oaks, in addition to his church service, was a very successful attorney. He was a professor at the University Of Chicago Law School (where he attended law school) and was interim dean, former president of BYU, and a former justice of the Utah Supreme Court. And towards the end of his "career", many republican presidential administrations considered him for U.S. Supreme Court Justice positions. He was the Board of Directors of PBS, as well as the Polynesian Cultural Center. So, in short, he was a pretty important guy who worked incredibly hard and accomplished a lot in his career. But he also had a wife and 6 children at home. So it probably goes without saying that he didn't have as much time as home as he would have liked.
So here's the story... June Oaks (Elder Oak's wife) was known to have said,
"If you wanted your husband home more often, you should have married someone who was stupid."
At first, I was somewhat startled by how blunt this statement was, but after time to think about it, I'm sure June had a lot of wisdom in that statement.
Recently Cortney has been working a lot. A lot. And while it's hard to have him gone so much, he's been involved in some really cool projects and I seem to hear him say all the time that he has a meeting with the CFO, or the VP of this-or that. But I've been thinking of this quote a lot lately and it always makes me laugh. This is just a really busy time for him at work, and we're both hoping this will slow down in a few months. But I guess I just have to pat myself on the back that I married someone smart who excels at what he does!
The picture above is Cortney and Will doing their touchdown dance. Cortney spins the football and he and Will both point to it. Yeah, I don't really get it either.
3 comments:
That is a very true statement. And we need more smart people in charge of things...so I guess we have to sacrifice our husbands.
We just recently moved into our ward and the record didn't yet have the hubs listed as a high priest. The guy in front of us turned around and asked Peter, "Say, when are we going to ordain you as a high priest" and before Peter could answer I said, "Oh, he's been a High Priest. He was a branch president for over 5 years of the Spanish branch down in the Valley". The guys face went 0.O and Peter just looked at me with a blank stare....I think I did something right/wrong...ya know?
Translation=more people to home teach=bye bye peter
So, so cute and so, so true.
Post a Comment