Friday, January 15, 2010

Depressed, or just the average American woman?

A friend and I were discussing depression during pregnancy and postpartum depression the other day. We were both talking about how some days you just felt a little crazy while you were pregnant and then there was World War 3 for a few weeks after delivery. Don't even get me started on the 2 weeks after postpartum. What happens in the 1st few weeks of postpartum, stays in the 1st few weeks of postpartum. We kept thinking, "were we depressed, or just normal? I mean, what emotions are normal during and after pregnancy?" That led to some online research of this subject and we found this website with these bits of wisdom. I am not making this up. To make it even more funny, this information comes from a government website- http://www.womenshealth.gov/. I'm pretty sure whoever wrote these symptoms was a man. According to them, these are the symptoms of depression during pregnancy and post-partum depression. I'm pretty sure these apply to every pre and post menopausal woman in America, pregnant or not.

  • Feeling restless or moody (doesn't it go without saying that pregnant women are expected to be moody? And restless? Well, we're only carrying around an extra 30 pounds, or the post-partum option of carrying around an extra 20 pounds and not getting any sleep...)
  • Feeling sad, hopeless, and overwhelmed (I'm sad I don't fit into my pants. I'm hopeless that I will ever fit into my pants. I'm overwhelmed at thinking of an exercise plan to one day fit into my pants.)
  • Crying a lot (Not even a woman made of steel could get through the first few weeks of post-partum without crying for no reason at all. Anyone else cried because they "just loved their baby SO much"?!? Oh, me! Me! Me!)
  • Having no energy or motivation (I think I knew it was a male writing this from this bullet point on. Are you kidding me? Refer to bullet point #1. Would you feel motivated to run out like normal under those circumstances?)
  • Eating too little or too much (Towards the end of the 3rd trimester, I didn't eat very much because my stomach space was so small I felt overstuffed after eating a small appetizer. Then nursing came into the picture and watch out! No food was safe from my evil jaws. It was like every meal I ate, I had been fasting for 48 hours and it was the best food I had ever eaten in my entire life. Check. And check, again. I'm good at this game!)
  • Sleeping too little or too much (getting up 3 times a night to pee tends to interfere with sleeping. So does a crying baby, but apparently this guy doesn't know that.)
  • Having trouble focusing or making decisions (this one is a no-brainer. Let's see...Not only does your vision become impaired or worse during pregnancy, but it's hard to concentrate on very much when you can't feel your feet. "Excuse me...you'll have to repeat that for me. I can't understand or focus on what you're saying because I haven't slept or showered for 36 hours.")
  • Having memory problems (This one made me laugh out loud. As a mother, whether pregnant or not, I KNOW my memory has gone downhill. Forgetting my keys or phone are a regular occurrence. The other day I called Cortney in a panic because I couldn't remember my ATM pin number. He laughed and then told me what it was and I said, "Oh, that's right. Its the phone extension I had at work for 2 years." How could I forget that? Maybe trying to remember to take a bottle, jacket, 15 diapers, wipes, snot sucker, nail clippers, blankets, the dr.'s phone number, 3 binkies, phone, keys, wallet, and a noisy rattle everywhere I went had a little something to do with it.)
  • Feeling worthless or guilty (I'm feeling worthless for eating 3 doughnuts for dinner last night and guilty that I made my husband drive to get them for me while I watched Project Runway and didn't wait for him to get back.)
  • Having aches and pains, or stomach pain that doesn't go away (I'm pretty sure my lower back has been hurting since the day I got knocked up. And the empty bottles of Tums in my trash can are proof of my stomach pain.)
  • Losing interest in activities you used to enjoy (I used to really enjoy shopping, but since I don't fit into anything with a normal waist these days, you'll have to excuse me, but its getting hard to me to get chipper about heading to the mall. I also used to enjoy running long distances, but since I can't run without losing control of my bladder and milk supply, I think I'll just sit this one out guys.)

6 comments:

Lauren said...

That is hilarious! I especially loved the memory comment. Andrew always wonders why I can't remember to take my phone with me everywhere I go. I'll have to show him that list and maybe he will cut me some slack.

TheSchmierneys said...

SERIOUSLY that is so funny! I wanna cry a little bit everytime I think of the last 2 months of pregnancy and the first two months with a new baby.... ITS insane and NO MAN has a CLUE!!! If it were just being tired or just being sore... or just having a needy crying baby..... but it's always ALL THREE and then some!

Emmy said...

I once knew of a man who had breast cancer and part of his treatment was estrogen therapy. . .he cried like a baby every day and would say things like, "I don't know how you women live like this!"
So, perhaps the man who wrote this list needs a little estrogen therapy and a lot of perspective! Oh, and he needs to lactate, too. .. but, that one's just for fun. :) Right!

Cort and Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Holy cow, you are hilarious! That was beautifully written, and pure truth. Thank you. I hope you are feeling okay though and that the pregnancy is going alright! Good luck with everything!

Alicia said...

It's official: I love you.
Seriously, this is awesome and so true that it's a little sad...but mostly hilarious... gotta have a sense of humor about all this or I really will slip into the deep, dark abyss.
I love it.