I've had quite a few people ask how am I managing the transition for one kid, to two... and the answer is a resounding "GREAT!" And it really is. In alot of ways, I think 2 is easier than one, as backwards as that sounds. I have 2 theories for this:
1. I feel like my ability to multi-task has increased ten-fold. I still can't hold a conversation and do something at the same time, but if it doesn't require alot of thinking about words, I can do multiple things at once. Nurse Duke and get Will a snack? Check. Break up a fight from across the room while making dinner? Check. I can't quite figure out why I can do more things while I have more responsibilities, but I think its just one of those great blessings that mom's get. Because you would have to get blessings like that, or no one would have the energy and patience to repopulate the earth. I still don't even try to clean my house until after the kids are in bed, and most dinners come from the crockpot, but for the most part, I think our life has refrained from taking any dramatic changes.
2. I magically need ALOT less sleep than I previously thought. After Will was born, I don't think I got out of bed until noon, because I was recovering from the night before. Since that is no longer a luxury, I am realizing more and more the body is an incredible piece of art. It can do many things you didn't think were possible. And with this discovery, I've also come to realize that sleep is like alcohol. The more you have it, the more you need it. Since I realized the only possible "me time" I could have with 2 small children would be if I woke up earlier than everyone else, I have taken to running each morning. I have woken up early to exercise at other times in my life, but never has it had such a direct impact on my mood as now. I (and everyone around me) can tell when I haven't exercised that day. It sounds so strange, but if I wake up early (read: get way less sleep) and go running for an hour, come back and get showered and dressed for the day before 8, I have so much more energy. And in addition to that, I feel so happy and confident all day. I feel like I'm such a better mom and wife when I lose sleep to exercise! So anyone else out there that's looking for a running buddy at 6 am, let me know, but you have to be ok with me singing along to my ipod as I run.
My days of being an avid reader are taking a break, as well as blogging. Those are the only things I wish I had more time for these days, but I know they will return before I know it. In the meantime, my blogging will be taking more of a "journal" approach so that I can just jot down a few cute memories of the boys every few days before I forget. And while we're on that subject, Duke is getting so adorable and chubby. Holding him is like holding your favorite teddy bear-all warm and squishy. He wakes up once at night, usually around 3 am. Holding Duke (or any newborn) has almost a healing effect. I savor the time I get to hold Duke and it seems as though the whole world pauses when I can hold him. Its so calming, but at the same time joyful. I wish so badly that everyone could feel it.
Will is still a million % little boy and his recent obsession is trains, or rather "cains!" He still adored Duke and trys to give Duke his binky constantly (which inadvertently gags Duke). The other day, Cortney took Duke on an errand so I could have a break with Will and when they left Will completely flipped out. I mean, he really lost it. He was screaming for a good 10 minutes, "Gooke! Gooke!" and even after he calmed down he just had a worried concerned look on his face. It was heartbreaking. He was without his other half. And when they were finally reunited, Will was so happy and relieved. Cortney and I had prayed that our boys would be best friends, and while time will tell, for now they really seem to be just that. And that makes me so happy.
Overall, I feel such a sense of gratitude for the ability to have these children. Gosh, crying already. I know so many who are not able to have children, or who have had children and lost them and I can't get over how blessed I have been to be able to have 2 healthy children. And as awful as hyperemesis is, I thank the Lord everyday that I only have to have that, and not have to go years trying to have children and not being able to, or having to lose a child to illness or other tragedy. And those friends and family members out there who are reading this, I'm talking about you. The days when everything seems so hard, I think of you. I think of all of you. And think of how any of you would give your right arm to be in my shoes and puke for 4 months straight if it meant you could wake up 10 times each night, just to hold a crying baby. I love my kids. I love every minute with them, even the extra super-hard minutes, because they are all minutes of cherished time.
Monday, July 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment