Monday, March 30, 2009

Amy the bracket-slayer

Like most guys, I get giddy every year during March Madness. The past two years have been especially enjoyable because March Madness happens to coincide with OSU's spring break, which means I have been free to watch as much basketball as I could stand without any other commitments. Of course this year has been different because I was busy chasing Will all over the place, but that just made it more fun.

One of the things I have been able to introduce to Amy since we've known each other is the pure beauty of the NCAA tournament. Amy had never filled out a bracket before knowing me, and this year all three of us filled out our brackets. I had to help out Will a little bit, but him picking Wake Forest all the way to the Final Four was all his decision. Anyway, we had a friendly little wager on this years' brackets, with the winner getting dinner from a place of his or her choosing.

After the first weekend, Will and I finished tied for first place, with Amy trailing. Well, after yesterday, Amy has successfully picked 3 of the Final Four teams and she will coast comfortably to victory. The greatest thing about this is that she filled it out all on her own. She didn't consult with me or anyone else. She just picked a smart, solid bracket, and even called the Michigan State upset of top overall seed Louisville. I was telling Amy that the difference between me and most guys she could have married is that other guys would take this as a shot to their sensitive male sports ego. But I couldn't be prouder.

And I'm actually relieved that Amy won the pool instead of Will, because I don't think either Amy or I would have enjoyed eating diced tomatoes, string cheese, and cheerios for dinner.

1 comment:

Cort and Amy said...

Thanks babe. You've been such a great mentor, but I guess I've proven I can take my own wings and fly. What can I say? You've been the wind beneath my wings (insert sarcasm here).