Sunday, March 22, 2009

Swimming and Gorging

Cortney took a swimming class this last quarter and loved it! We both gave up soda as a New Year's resolution and because he has been swimming so much, Cort has lost 7 lbs this quarter! He just looks more healthy and happy-because he is. Seeing how much he loved swimming, I decided that I wanted to improve my strokes so I could swim for exercise. I enrolled in a class at the YMCA and I was able to improve my technique quite a bit and have been swimming for exercise at least 3 times a week and LOVE it. I feel so freaking good after I swim for an hour! The best part about it is I don't feel hot and tired after I'm done (like when I used to run), I feel energized and refreshed all day long. I'm getting better the more I swim, but for now this is my routine:

3 sets of:
100 meters freestyle
100 meters breaststroke
100 meters backstroke
100 meters kicking with the kickboard

then to cool down I tread water for 5 minutes trading off each minute using only my arms or only my legs to propel myself. This workout usually takes me 45 min.

Fast forward to yesterday. We have a coin jar where we put all of our lose change and we decided we would empty it and see how much money we had in change. Well, there was $45 in there! It was a babysitting co-op night so we decided after we dropped Will off we would use out coin fortune and buy ourselves a nice dinner because we never ever have the money to do that. We decided on Marcella's. Its an Italian place where all the items on the menu are appetizer portions and you just order as many as you want, whenever you want, and they bring the food out to you as soon as its ready. We ordered a meatball, bruschetta, clam linguine, and mushroom ravioli, topped off with tiramisu. It was all so good, but we were waddling out of Marcella's last night and on the way back to the car, both of us complained of heart burn and stomach pain from just eating so much. We both laughed at why we even went out to dinner! I guess we're just not very good at eating sensibly when we're out for dinner:) Through our laughter and waddling back to the car, we both decided we were thankful we didn't have the option to eat out very often and were both wondering how late the pool was open that night.

2 comments:

Tamber said...

I didnt know that you were swimming so much. That is awesome that you both like it. Eric had been begging me to take him and teach him some technique. We just never get to go at the same time. Anyways, you guys are awesome.

Erica said...

so very fun! glad you were able to enjoy some yummy food and great company!