Thursday, January 30, 2014

1/30

This is why I need to record every day as it happens, because as I lay in bed right now I can barely even piece together what I did today.

I held Matt a lot today. Sure, I love holding him, but this wasn't a "you're so cute, I just can't put you down" kind of day. He just screamed unless I was he was being held, so into the Ergo he went. My back is paying the price now. Matt isn't super fond of napping even though he needs it. He usually naps while we're in the car, but today my battery died and we were homebound, which meant a screaming, exhausted Matt.

Duke didn't have school so I tried to do as much as I could with him, but I admit I fell victim to the TV. I've been really strict about TV and media lately and sometimes it feels nice to just let the kid watch a movie, or two. Currently, If the boys want to watch TV or the iPad, they have to be completely ready to walk out the door to school (dressed, eaten, bed made, prayers said, shoes on) before they can have any media. Then after school, they both have to wait until Will finishes our tutoring session at the kitchen table to have the iPad. But most of the time I let them watch one episode of something right after school to decompress while they have a snack.

At least once a day I want to throw the iPad out the window. I hate how they whine for it all the time. It turned my kids into little monsters, I tell you.

Duke and I made quite a few things from play doh today. He loves using my garlic press to make "little worms". We also made brownies made with black beans. I was skeptical, but wow, that's going to be my new go-to recipe. Very fudgy and, really, the perfect brownie consistency. Plus, it gets beans in my children, a feat I haven't overcome in years.

We walked over to get Will at school, about a mile away and I remembered how "not hard" it is to just use my legs as a mode of transportation and I committed to myself to walk to pick him up two days a week from now on. After he got home, we had snacks and played outside for a while. We found a tennis ball on the way home, so naturally Will wanted to play tennis. He's a great player. Can't wait to get him in lessons again.




We had a snow day on Tuesday (no snow, just ice on cars), and he went to Sarah and Taylor's to play. Matt exploded poo down an entire leg down to his heels (happens everyday), and we resorted to a 2T jammie set found somewhere in the girls room. He seemed ok with it, as seen in the picture.

That afternoon, we went to the Barber's. They are new friends from our ward who just moved to our neighborhood. Good times had by all.

We got a special delivery when we got home...a new outdoor basketball hoop sitting on our doorstep. There wasn't a return address on it, but I was pretty sure I knew who it was from...Chris. Bless his heart. I will forever be grateful for Chris because I know without a shadow of a doubt, that guy would do anything, and I mean anything, for our boys. It's rare to find people like that, especially who aren't blood relatives. But he's family in every sense of the word. The boys will be so confused some day when they realize Chris isn't their actual uncle.

No comments: